Forms Validation..?

• 24 February 2008
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

In many ways you can add different validation conditions to the process form. But the question is where should it be. First, I can add a validation rule in the Web/InfoPath form itself. On the other hand, the user can use K2 Workspace to action the work item and here's the real issue. No validation rules will be applied and the user can bypass them which makes those conditions kinda useless.

Do you think that the validation rules should be part of the process model "K2 Process" rather than the Web/InfoPath Form?

-Saleh

3 replies

Badge +7

Hi Saleh,

In my personal opinion, users should only be able to action their tasks through the ASPX form or infopath form that you've provided (with your validation!).

My reasons for this.... no real value is being added in the process as the form will not be filled in by a human... yes you can automate some of the data, but the whole reason for a task is so somebody and complete something....

However, there are some occasions, such as a "Cancel" action or "Defer" action are valid from the K2 Workspace as they don't require any process data to be added. 

You can turn off the ability for users to bypass your forms in the wizard, there's a check box "allow action to be available in the actions list on the task" or something like that... i cannot get a screenshot for you right now as i'm away from the office.

For what it's worth, you could 'validate' a form that is submitted by a selection made on the K2 Workspace. You need to put a line condition, or for something a little more complicated, a server code event.

hope that helps

Martin

Badge +9

Martin pretty much has it nailed down.  In your case, you should disable the option to make the actions available from the worklist.

This reverts it back to the previous way in which the K2.net 2003 worklist worked.  The whole reason behind having this feature was that many people wanted a quick way to approve items without opening it.  e.g. If I have a leave request process with the leave requestor's name and the leave infomation (e.g. leave start date and length of leave) formatted nicely in the folio field, it would be pretty easy to do quick approvals without having to open up the form.

This essentially would be a powerful way of doing batch approvals for processes that require no field input and have a high work item frequency.

Badge +5

This is actually my case, I'm using the same way by disabling the action availability in the worklist. However. sometimes you need to have the best of both worlds and the user can't in any rate surpass the validation rules that you've built.

Consequently, I guess that It would be wise for the developer to design an easy and intuitive form for quick approvals rather than building highly sophisticated "legacy" forms.

Thank you all!

-Saleh