cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can I show new data in Nintex Report Viewer Web Part?

Hi,

First, I am working with SharePoint 2010/Nintex 2010 Enterprise versions.  I have used Nintex for some time now but have actually never had a need to use the reporting feature/web parts until recently.  I have added, to a page of mine, the Nintex Workflow Report Viewer Web Part and set it to show the report for Workflow Actions filtered to show only a specific workflow.  I also added another one of these web parts to the page to show Workflow Performance. These work fine as is and can see some information on the actions etc.  While testing the workflow I noticed that this web part (for the actions) was showing data from the test runs. This makes sense as that is what it is supposed to do, however, when this goes live, the test data will still be visible.

Is there a way to refresh this data when we go live so that only the actual live data is captured?  Or, is there a way to just wipe out the current data to start fresh?  So far the only way I have been able to do this is to delete the workflow and recreate it.  This is not terrible since I saved it as a template so I can easily remake.  That said, however, the issue I noticed with this is that a saved template does not save individual Flexi Task custom info path forms (ie: if you edit the task form for a flexi task).  This is an issue because the workflow is a bit lengthy and has a lot of flexi tasks, all of which have their own custom form.  It takes a very long time to go through the workflow to update each one so would like to try and avoid removing and creating a new workflow to refresh the data.

Also, when doing the above (delete/recreate wf) I noticed that the Workflow Performance report now shows the old instanced (deleted workflows) still and the new version.  This is confusing as I have kept the name the same.  So, right now, I see 3 of the same workflow name listed with different data (from previous test runs).  Again, these early versions have been removed/deleted from the list but still show in the web part.  Is there a way to refresh this as well to only show the new version?  I noticed this one does not allow filtering so that is not an option.

Thanks for any help as it is very appreciated.

Labels: (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Not applicable

Re: How can I show new data in Nintex Report Viewer Web Part?

I have another similar/follow up question to the above.

Is there a report or some way to show the duration or average duration of specific actions?  I know if I go to each item individually and click on View workflow history in the context menu, I see this type of information.  I can view detailed information or look at a approval action and see the duration for it and the average duration.  So far, however, I can only seem to see this information on a per item basis doing the above.  We want to see this information more as a roll up of all actions from running or completed workflows.  For example let's say we have an approval action called HR Approval.  If I want to know, overall, how long does it take for HR to get the approval completed for all running/completed instances of the workflow, how can I do this?  Is this possible?  I feel like there should be something since the data is already being used just at a more individual level instead of for all.

Any thoughts/help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

I believe the answer you need to remove the testing data as if it did not exist before go-live would be to clean up data in the Nintex Database. The only supported way to do this is using the Nintex command options of nwadmin​. The operation is PurgeWorkflowData and this operation is used to remove historic data from the Nintex Workflow database. For documentation, see NWAdmin Operations - Nintex Workflow 2010 .

The consequences of the operation are:

• No longer be listed as having run on the ‘view workflow history’ page.
  • No longer be able to have their graphical status of detailed history viewed.
  • No longer affect statistics or reports.
  • No longer appear in web parts.
  • No longer have viewable tasks (the task item will exist, but clicking on it will receive and error about not being able to find the ID in the database).
  • No longer be able to have history list items associated with them purged using the ‘PurgeHistoryListData’ command unless the–clearall switch is used.
  • Once data has been purged, it cannot be recovered without restoring a backed up version of the database.

If you do not use this method, then instead of recreating the workflow using a saved template, export the workflow and then import as a new workflow after deletion. This will bring in all the saved settings for the flexi tasks. But the PurgeWorkflowData is my recommendation.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Andrew,

Thank you very much.  I had seen this in Central Admin's UI (to purge data) but it was fairly limited and I did not want to purge data for all sites as others are needed.  This command definitively did the trick with the -url parameter.  Cannot thank you enough for that bit of information.

Any ideas on my other question or whether that is possible to do easily?  aka: get duration of actions across all running/ran instances of the workflow.  I can see this can be done per workflow, but no one wants to have to click through so many items to look at.  They rather look at one place that says, for example HR Task took on average 10 minutes.  This 10 minutes is the average for all running/ran instances.  Is this possible as I do not see this as an option in the default reports.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Yes, you should be able to see this in the enterprise reports for the site collection. This requires enterprise license, and the enterprise solution deployed to the farm.

0 Kudos