Show additional fields on default task form

• 8 February 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +11

Hi Guys,

for a customer using Nintex Workflow 2010 I would like to show an additional field on the default task form for a flexi task.

What I've done so far:

1. Created a new site column of type number. Let's call it "NumberOfDays"
  2. Created a new content type inheriting from Nintex Workflow Multi Outcome Task
  3. Added my new site column to this content type
  4. Made sure the content type is available in the Workflow Tasks list
  5. Changed my flexi task to use the new content type

Now I would like to show my new "NumberOfDays" field on the task form, to collect additional information while a person approves/rejects.

Limitations:

• No Nintex Forms
  • No InfoPath
  • No VisualStudio

As a workaround I could:

• Let the users enter the information dircetly in the comments box - Bad, because I'd need some regex afterwards and a lot of trust in the users always providing the correct format
  • Use an additional "Request Data" action to get the number of days via an additional task - Bad, because another task form needs to be opened and filled out

Does anyone have an idea how to customize that default task form to show an additional field without manipulating aspx-files directly in SharePoint-Designer?

Thanks in advance!

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

You can do this by editing the Task Form in either Nintex Forms or Infopath. Is this not an option?

Badge +11

Unfortunately:

Limitations:

• No Nintex Forms
  • No InfoPath
  • No VisualStudio

That would be way too easy wink.png

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Without editing the aspx file i'm not sure this is possible. sad.png

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Why don't you use directly a Request Data action where you can set your content type with an Outcome field of choice type, a Comments fields and the NumberOfDays field?

In that way, user has to reply only to one task and he has all the fields in the same place.

Giacomo

Badge +11

That's a good idea! Since our customer has slightly changed the requirement I may not even need to capture a dynamic number of days. However, I will definitely give this a try, thanks a lot!

Badge +16

How did you get on ‌?

Badge +11

Oh my, I already forgot about this one. Our customer decided that the user must not enter his own value (number of days) but can only choose a specific outcome. So we ended up adding an additional outcome in the flexi tasks all users receive and when they choose the new outcome the workflow pauses for one business day and recreates the task.

So no need to edit the forms or to implement an additional task action.

Best Regards

Philipp

Thanks for asking wink.png