Web Garden support in K2 2003?

• 9 May 2007
  • 1 reply

Badge +13
Currently I've isolated K2V3, Workspace, WorkspaceService into its own IIS6 application pool.

I just changed Web Garden to 2 processes (from 1), things seem to run fine (in DEV) for now.

Has anyone used Web Garden against the K2 pool in production fine?
Support, is this known to be supported or have any issues?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/insider/iisi0803.mspx#EQD
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/659f2e2c-a58b-4770-833b-df96cabe569e.mspx?mfr=true

I know that the workspace uses session to store some preferences.

We do not use SmartForms or InfoPath.

1 reply

Badge +3
HI Peter,

Looking through the support tickets I came across this:
Symptom:
Intermittently, nothing happen when user clicks on the Approve button in document approval.

Reason:
K2.Net SmartForm , which is used as the base technology for the document approval, uses ASP.NET Session object to keep track of some vital information of the page. When the session is unavailable during page post backs, K2.Net SmartForm will not be able to properly perform the workflow task (i.e. will not be able to process the Approve button event). The current web garden setup of the website in IIS had caused the user requests to lost its current session context when switching among different handling processes.

Resolution:

IIS settings had been changed to disable the web garden mode (i.e. 1 process mode).

It does however note elsewhere in the ticket the following:

Do bear in mind that various optimizations techniques are available on sharepoint/K2.net servers, web garden can still be employed as one of the optimization step, provided that appropriate settings had been carried out to ensure the consistency of ASP.NET Session state.

Personally I've had no experience of Web Gardens, however the above suggests you should be able to configure it. As to the specifics, hopefully somebody else will be along - or you can post any specific problems you come across and we'll take a look.

Hope that's of some help.

Ashley