Using a single line textbox to filter a dropdown

• 3 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello, I am attempting to filter my drop down menu based on what the user has typed into a single line textbox above the dropdown. The dropdown menu unfiltered contains 200+ entries so we would like to narrow this down for the user. I would like for the user to be able to type a word into the single line textbox and any item within the dropdown that contains that word should show. Anything that does not contain that word should not show in the dropdown.

For example, let's say the dropdown menu has the items: Apple Pie, Orange Custard, and Green Apple. If I were to type Apple into the single line textbox, I would like the dropdown menu to only show: Apple Pie, Green Apple. 

I have been attempting this with the filter portion of the dropdown menu settings. However, I have only been successful in filtering if the user enters the exact item in the list, instead of anything containing that word. 

For example, if the user types Apple into the textbox, nothing appears. If the user types Apple Pie, only Apple Pie appears. We want the drop down to show anything that contains Apple. Thanks!

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

The Lookup control does not have the type of filtering you are looking for. You may want to put your options into a database and then use the SQL request control with SQL script that uses the LIKE operator to get partial matches.