Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Creating URL to a list

Jump to solution

I am using Nintex 2010 and SharePoint 2010. When you are in a site workflow, how can you create a link to a list. The link will be used in an email notification in the workflow.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
itrippedover
Nintex Newbie

Re: Creating URL to a list

Jump to solution

The most reliable way I have found is to either create a variable with the path or in the email itself create a link with the following:

{Common:WebUrl}/Lists/<ListName>/

Or as a link to edit a specific item

{Common:WebUrl}/Lists/<ListName>/editform.aspx?ID={ItemProperty:ID}&Source={Common:WebUrl}

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I'd like to make the list name dynamic as well. I don't want to hard code it in case it changes.

0 Kudos
andrewg
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Will you have the value of the listname somehow when the site workflow starts? Are any other pieces missing to complete your task?

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I know what the list name is. But the workflow won't know it. And right now it is in a sandbox. When it gets moved it could change and I don't want someone to have to remember to change that. That was why I was hoping to make it know automatically. Suzanne's could work. I just don't want to hard code the list name.

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Is there a way for the workflow to get the list name from SharePoint?

0 Kudos
andrewg
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I know you already know of many ways. Let me list a few and we can review what you think are possible options.

• Configuration list
    • Have a key/value list where Title field is the key and says "MySpecialWorkflowListName", and value is "MySpecialList"
    • Query on this config list for that key and get the value
  • Constant
  • Start Form variable
  • Site workflow is started by another workflow that has this data
  • Calculated
    • such as the list is on many sites, but the name is always "SiteTitle"+"MyspecialList"
  • The workflow asks for it through Request Data or some task
0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

So I guess there is really no way without hard coding it somewhere in a site. I guess it is just unavoidable.

0 Kudos
andrewg
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

If it can't be guessed from a calculation, or provided by a user somewhere in the process, then it will have to be recorded somewhere on the site. Is there a specific content type used for the list items? Is there any other way to determine which list to link to? What makes it unique?

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

No its not a specific content type. I can't have to get the user to provide the list name because they wouldn't know because they are not power users. There isn't any other way that I can think of to know which list to link to without hard-coding it. If it wasn't a site workflow it would. I will just have to hard code the list name unfortunately.

0 Kudos