how to link to item?

• 26 September 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi, I created a new column, similar to ID, had the workflow assign a consecutive unique number, now i want it to be Linked to Item. in other words i want it to appear as a hyperlink to view or edit the item. 

Unfortunately Sharepoint Designer is not possible to switch on for this site so i cannot edit the code through there, is there another way to get to the code for the list column to make it link to item or can it be done with Nintex?

Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Adas,

just to make sure I understood.

By default SharePoint uses the column ID to refrence items like

/yourlisturl//DispForm.aspx?ID=36

You created a new column which is creating an index and now you want to reference items like

/yourlisturl//DispForm.aspx?customIDcolumn=36

If I understood that right I don't think this is possible as all SharePoint application pages (version history, display form, edit form, and so forth) require the column ID by code. To ensure it's present you are not able to manipulate the column ID at all.

What's the question behind your scenario? Why do you need another identifier column?

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +1

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for coming back to me. 

My intention was to create a unique column identifier for each request with text "COL" in front of [ID] reference. Further, i wanted it to be a hyperlink to View/Edit the Item (or, link to item). 

I have come up with a work-around to achieve this, I have renamed the Title column which was originally a "link to item" column to Request ID, although i needed a Title column, i didn't necessarily need the link that came with it. I created another column and named it "Title" to retain for my list. Then used Nintex Workflow to to Set Request ID Field to "COL"[ID]. 

The one drawback i found is the Request ID is now the Title of the form when i enter the View/Edit mode.