Work flow starting point when a value has changed

• 16 October 2015
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +6

I'm new to work flow and I need some help.

I'm trying to set up my workflow so that when a person submits a request the workflow starts by sending them an email. Once an admin person changes the value of the request on the SP list from under review (which is the default) to denied or completed the requester should get an email back with the message (either the request was denied or completed).

I have changed my work flow settings to start when created and start when modified - every which way and with conditional values. Each time, when I change the request status to denied for example, the denied email is sent but also notifications that a new request has been started. If I don't set the work flow to start when items are modified nothing happens when I change the disposition of the request in the SP list.

I need to have the work flow start once at the beginning when a new request is submitted and then once the disposition of the request is changed, the work flow picks up in the middle and only notifies the requester of the status.

I looked at the loop action but I'm not clear on how it works or where I would put it. I've attached a sample pic of the work flow to help illustrate my problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

In my opinion you need two workflows, one for the notification after creation of a new request (and this workflow should be set only to start at creation), the other one to send the denied/completed notification with the conditional logics about the status (this workflow set to start when an item is modified)

Giacomo

Badge +3

I agree - this is a simple way to keep the 2 workflows separate (especially for future modifications).  I have several apps that use this approach.

Badge +6

Thanks Giacomo and Chris. I had a good laugh at the simplicity of the solution. So I ended up creating one workflow to acknowledge the new request. I then created a second workflow to handle the notifications on each type of disposition (denied, approved, completed). This gave me some trouble due to my noob status but after creating a workflow to run in parallel with three branches, all with a "wait for item update" I was able to get the right email notification each time the disposition value changed.

Thanks again

Andrew