K2 Blackpearl 4.5 and Sharepoint 2013

• 29 April 2014
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi all,

A client have a farm with a Sharepoint 2007 installation and K2 Blackpearl 4.5 (4.10060.1090.0).

All working like a charm.

The client wants to upgrade Sharepoint to 2013 version.

The workflow will still work in a new Sharepoint version or some changes have to be made?

We have a lot of controls running on Sharepoint 2007 with a lot of custom code written against K2 API.

Thanks in advance.

4 replies

Badge +10

I suspect the upgrade of blackpearl to the latest version will go pretty well.

I suspect your K2 API calls will also allm or almost all, work.

What do you use as your form enviornment?  Is it custom ASP.net since you mentioned a lot of custom code against the K2 APIs?  If so those forms should probably be fine.

Do you use a lot of K2 for SharePoint events in your process?  If you are planning on using SharePoint 2013 in native mode with the K2 app (instead of running the SharePoint site in 2010 mode) it uses all different K2 for SharePoint event wizards that go against the client side object model.  So those old SharePoint events would need to be redone in your process.

Here is an article that talks about moving K2 from SharePoint 2010 to 2013 that should help.

http://help.k2.com/KB001380

Of course lots of testing will be required regardless.

Badge +2

Hi,

Our form enviornment is built on top of asp.net pages and controls.

We dont have K2 for Sharepoint events, just some services to access data.

The client is building a new server with a clean install of Sharepoint 2013. No upgrade here.

If we install the latest version of K2 in this environment you think that if we deploy our workflow (that was build with K2 4.5 for SharePoint 2007) in this new enviroment it will work ?

Thanks for your reply Tim.

Badge +10

Okay so without K2 for SharePoint 2007 events you wouldn't need to remove those and use the new SharePoint 2013 templates (not that that is really that big of a deal normally).  I believe the process should most likely upgrade fairly smooth to 4.6.7 or might require minor changes. 

You mention asp.net pages and controls running on SharePoint 2007.  Although I would think the integration with the K2 API should work fine after the upgrade I suspect you'll need to make changes so that whatever controls you're running or integration with SharePoint 2007 works well with SharePoint 2013.  As well SharePoint 2013 like 2010 only runs in a 64 bit enviornment which could also potentially cause issues with your pages, controls and custom code.

If I were you I would try a quick migration in a controlled virtual machine environment and try moving across the process and some of the custom pages and controls to get a better idea of exactly the issues you'll face before coming up with some type of work estimate.  I hope this helps.  

Badge +2

Sure it helps.

I will try your suggestions in a DEV environment.

Many thanks Tim.