Need to shift K2 to another server

• 5 October 2006
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
Hi,

Right now, I have both my sharepoint and k2 on the same server.
But, due to some reasons, we need to shift K2 to another server.
Is this possible?
If yes, what kind of problems I can expect to face during the transition?
It would be great if anyone could direct me to an article or something explaining the process.

Thanks in advance,
Rahul

6 replies

Badge +10
Hi,

Even though it is possible, you can expect some problems.
I would do a clean K2.net 2003 install on the new server.
You will then need to re-export all the processes to this new server.
Make sure you update all client events to point to the new server if you hard-coded the server name in the events.
Go through all the process and make sure you update all places where the server name is hard-coded.
Also remember to give the correct permissions to users after the process have been exported to the new server.

You will need to re-run the K2.net 2003 install on the SharePoint server so that it can communicate with the new server.

You also should consider Kerberos Authentication because SharePoint and K2.net are now on different servers. For more info on this check out: http://kb.k2workflow.com/Articles/KB000123.aspx

There might also be some other errors, but most of these will be because a server name was hard-coded somewhere or it will be related to Authentication/Kerberos problems.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JohanL
Badge +1
Hello Johan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I also need to retain all the active process instances. Can I migrate those instances?

You will then need to re-export all the processes to this new server.

If I point my new K2 server to the same database server as that for the old one, will it retain all the active processes as well as their instances or do I really need to export all the processes again?

Thanks again,
Rahul
Badge +10
Hi,

If you point the new K2.net 2003 installation to the same database, it should retain the active processes.

However there is a new utility which can be downloaded from the K2.net Portal which can help you migrate active processes. This utility is called: K2.net® 2003 Process Migration Utility (3.6152.1.0).

Would suggest you try the utility & pointing to the same DB in a QA environment first to make sure you do not run into any problems in your production environment.

Regards,

JohanL
Badge +7
Did you manage to move your K2 server and retain your active processes? I am about to go through the same thing, testing in Virtual Server first but would be great to know how you got on?

Rich
Badge +6
Regarding just the K2 databases:

You have two main methods for retaining existing K2 Process instances after migrating K2 databases into another K2 environment, both require backing up the K2 and K2Log databases and restoring them into the new system:

1. Run thru a clean K2 installation on the new machine, and select to install new databases (select to install both the K2 and K2Log databases from the wizard's component option screen).

You will need to submit for a new K2 License Key for the new environment since the System Key will be different. Make a note of the new System Key and License key when it is approved.

After the installation is successful (you may want to back up this 'clean' install's K2/K2Log too...just in case), you can then restore your 'old' system's backups (from the 'old' environment) over the existing 'new' databases. You will then have to replace the old K2 license key values with the one received for the new system. This should be done via K2 Service Manager, but you can also do it via entries in the K2 database's _server tabe should the Service Manager option not be available. (there's KB articles on accompishing this - see KB's #56 and #128).

2. Restore the 'old' environment backups onto the desired SQL Server system, then walk thru the K2 installation in the new environment but remember NOT to select to install the K2 and K2Log databases in the wizard's component option screen (if selected to install the databases, the installer will generate a 'database already exists' error and abort). You can then point the installer to the existing databases later in the install. Just as the previous method, you will need a new K2 License Key for the new machine, but you can enter that in during the installation when the new Key is received.

Given that you shut down the K2 Server properly (Stop the K2 Server Service, etc.), since all of the Process definitions and open/active Process Instances are contained in the K2 database, and all completed Process Instances (incuding Activities and Events) are stored in the K2Log database, once you load the K2 Service back up and ensure everything is running properly, all previous processes should proceed as normal - K2 has a great design where any processing activities in transition prior to the shut down are resumed when the K2 server is re-started. Very nice.

I hope this helps.
Badge +7
Thanks a lot for your advice Dave.

I am going to try the second route first of all in a virtual environment. I will try to post back with my experience for other users.

Cheers!

Rich