Rich Text Editor Not Reliable

• 1 December 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I have noticed that the Rich Text editor in Nintex Workflow 2013 is very unreliable when generating email notifications.  For example, throughout my current workflow I have set the text as 12pt Tahoma using the editor.  I can see the changes reflected in the Rich Text editor.  But after Publishing and testing the workflow, some emails ignore the font selection completely, instead using 11pt Calibri, while other emails only apply 12pt Tahoma to parts of the text, using 11pt Calibri in others.  And any inserted tables never respect the text styling selected in the text editor.

We use MS Outlook 2007, which is where I am viewing the emails.  We are also using the default out-of-the-box style template for emails. 

I understand that we can edit the HTML directly, but we will have people designing workflows who are not fluent in HTML.  And honestly, with a Rich Text editor built into Nintex, we don't feel that we should have to edit HTML.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced these issues and is there a way to mitigate them without having to resort to editing HTML?

Thanks!

-Anthony

2 replies

Badge +17

Anthony,

Good observation here. One thing I would like to point out for you is that the RTE allows you to modify the text within the workflow, but does not control how the applications should render that HTML. 

This is similar to how various browsers render HTML and CSS differently. Nintex provides some level of support for HTML rendered from its workflow platform, but that support or compliance is within the range of what is current meaning, MS Outlook 2010 and above, or IE, Edge, FF, Chrome, and Safari. 

Another thing I've done personally to prevent this is:

Copy the HTML/CSS styling from action to action, or copy the actions themselves and modified them as necessary. Those two ways, while not always ideal, have helped when desiring to keep styling consistent.

Badge +1

Eric,

Thank you for the reply.  I know that using a dated version of MS Outlook is a contribution, but not uncommon with larger (2000+) employee corporations.  I am honestly surprised it is not a more frequent complaint.

I do appreciate the suggestion to copy actions, or at least the HTML/CSS styling.  It is certainly worth a shot.

Thanks again,

-Anthony