Shortcut Generator using a repeating section - A simple example

• 24 September 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge +7

Hello! So the idea behind this was to create a solution to allow anyone to create and maintain groups of links to documents in a library and direct links to other pages, sites, etc. Then using the items to create views of those links. I wanted to create something that allowed me to create shortcuts to documents from a central library and mix with short cuts to other locations.

It uses a list to capture your link 'bundles' in a repeating section and also asks for the meta data to group your links together for use in views.

It's also a good example of extracting information from a repeating section into a summarized field. So instead of shorcuts, it could be product sales for example.

So first here is my desired output. This is a view of items, filtered to the LinkContent Field and then grouped by the LinkGroup Field. The below is made up of seven items. Each one has a Linked Content Field of 'Client Take On Pack' and a Different Link Grouping field. I.E  '(03) : Terms of Engagement'.

4629iA3C8F350A3960FEF.jpg
The input form for the (03) group is below. The form lets you assign the metadata for your bundle of links. I'm using the link page to help sort things between the pages where these links will appear. Link content I'm using to group bundles together by using is as a view filter. Link Group and Type is used when creating views and I want to Group By them.

Link sort allows my to choose an alphabetical sort or a chosen numerical one.

Then I'm choosing a direct link ( A site , page, document ) or Document form my attached central library.

4631i59D4F267015CA6DB.jpg

On save, a workflow loops through the rows adding them to a collection and then updates the summary field which gives us the output of all the links into a single field.

I could of course simply used a single item for each link but this gives a simple maintenenace edit button for each bundle and reduces the number of items if you have 20 links all with the same meta data.

I've included my list and workflow as attachments. Please note, you will need Vidams repeating section UDA.

T.

1 reply

Badge +7

Here's a final example of a full page. Just built using created views from the main list.
4636iD7F00285086951CE.jpg