Starting a process instance from a SharePoint list

• 29 June 2005
  • 6 replies

Badge
You can start a process instance from SharePoint by filling out an Infopath form or trigger a SharePoint document library event, but is there a way to start a process instance from a SharePoint list (events, links, tasks, annoucements, etc.)? For example, initiate a process when a user inserts a new record into a list.

Thx in advance,
Ken

6 replies

Badge +2
Hi Ken

Unfortunately Sharepoint does not raise events when an action is taken on a specific list item. This means an event handler cannot be implemented for a list.
One (possible) solution is to write a service which checks for new list items in the specified list, using Sharepoint web services to query the list.
As soon as the service finds a new list item, you could use the information returned by the web service to start a new process in K2 with the K2ROM.
Once again, only a possible solution, I'm sure there are many out there and this one might not be the most practical or usable :)

Cheers

Dirk
Badge +2
SharePoint does not raise events on list items, but as it stores the list item in the SharePoint database, you can add a trigger that does the work for you. Have a look at the attachment. Note that this is not the most elegant solution and that you are altering the SharePoint database at your own risk.
Badge +9
Hi Guys,

Before implementing this solution I would recommend that you first clear this with MS, I am not to sure that MS will support.
Badge +3
Aviva Consulting makes a K2 based web part that hooks into Sharepoint lists for doing exactly this. Please see here:

http://www.k2workflow.com/global/articles/recent/r0503101.aspx

We got a demo of the web part from Aviva and it works great! Basically allows you to treat the list item in K2 just as if it was a document library.
Badge +2
Rénier is absolutely correct. If you fiddle with the SharePoint database, you are exposing yourself. I do recommend a third party solution instead.
Badge +2

I realize that this post is a bit old, but I need some help that relates to the title, so I am posting a reply to keep the string together.

I have a sharepoint list that contains duplicates some key fields from a SQL database.  I would like to be able to trigger a k2 process for changing the data for the list item selected from within the list. 

Is there a way to trigger a K2 event from within the List by say hyperlink?

Thanks 

Jim