Problem with workflow randomly re-starting

• 18 November 2015
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

I have a workflow with about 7 different approval levels. I'm experiencing a very frustrating problem whereby my workflow randomly re-starts when it's halfway through the workflow, for no reason.

I have tried to combat this by including start conditions in the workflow settings, and including a 'run if' function at the top of the workflow. But, this doesn't seem to have achieved anything.

It would be perfect if I could include a condition somewhere in the workflow settings that essentially says: 'Do not start workflow if another workflow with this item is already running'. But, I can't seem to achieve this.

Thanks

Shaun

3 replies

Badge +4

Hi Shaun,

You can if a named workflow is running by querying the column which has the same name as the workflow you are interested in.  More details available here: Check if workflow is running? Essentially you want to make sure the column does not have a value of 'InProgress' which is 2.

I don't think it's possible to have two instances of the same workflow running on a single item, but I could be wrong.

More detailed information would be required in order to assist with your workflow issues.  Hopefully the above can help.

Badge +5

Thanks Barry - I pretty much did exactly what you suggested and it seems to have solved the problem.

Any ideas why this was happening in the first place? Seems to be a bug in Nintex, or at least an imperfection in terms of usability.

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi Shaun Guyver,

Did you ever find the root cause for this unpredictable behavior? After migrating from SP/Nintex 2013 on-Prem to SP/Nintex 2016 on-Prem I have a workflow that also seems to jump back to an earlier location (which seems to differ as well), seemingly within the same instance (no indication found for 2nd instance found, and as such checking for status In Progress will not do for me). It cause a task created twice as well as a 2nd instance of a library (with a number added to the url); when completing one of the tasks, it sends of an "Your response is no longer required" email which is even more strange as this would suggest a Nintex Task with multiple assignees.......

So, I'm still looking for resolving this......