Can you change the content type of an item in a Nintex workflow on a list that has 2 content types?

• 24 March 2015
  • 3 replies

Badge

I am trying to implement a SharePoint site request process.  Would like to manage it all from 1 SharePoint list.  I have 2 content types on the list.  The default content type contains the items required to capture information about the request.  The other content type has the same fields at the default content type, but has additional values for an administrator to add more inforamtion, assign the task and update the status.  Would also need to have dashboards: one for requestors to see the status of the request,  another one for administrators to see tasks assigned to them or requests that are unassigned.

I've researched how to possible make this process work.  And what I can find is that you use SharePoint designer to change the content type of the list item from the workflow.  I am unable to find where you can use a Nintex workflow to do the same thing.

I have a Nintex workflow that starts when an item is created.  I would like the workflow to change the content type of the item to another content type of the list.

What makes this scenario complicated is that I would not like the requestor to be able to update the status of the request or assign an 'Assigned To'.  How do I only allow certain individuals (administrators / maintenance team members) to do those changes.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

You should be able change the Content Type of a List Item by using the "Update Item" action and then simply setting the "Content Type" field equal to whatever the name of your content type is. 

Thanks,

Mike

Badge +17

I agree with Mike, this should be possible.  However, one thing to note. If your content types have required fields and they are empty when the workflow runs, the workflow will fail. 

If Content Type A has required fields and those are different from Content Type B's required fields, then the workflow will fail and not convert it.

If you are simply trying to hide fields or prevent users from updating certain fields, use a view to control this, not a content type.  You should be able to modify the SharePoint NewForm.aspx or EditForm.aspx to hide certain fields using JavaScript or Jquery.  This is an easier thing to manage than converting content types. Also if you have Nintex forms, you could simply hide the fields on New Mode or Edit Mode.

Hope that helps.

Badge +2

What about creating/adding a list item (not updating). In the add list item configuration, I don't see any option to change the content type. I'd like to change it because the default content type has fields that are required that are not required on the non-default content type.