Is there a way to show that a task is being worked?

Badge +1

I have a simple workflow where a user puts in a request to the responders group that can handle it.  (The group currently has 5 members.)  Any member of the responders group can handle the request and close it out or send it back.  That's fine.  A "Assign Flexi Task" where the first response rules.

But, a lot of requests come in over the course of the day, some can be handled quickly and others will take long time (half hour to an hour--in time away from their desk).  They want a way to tell that someone else is working on a task (and know who is working it) so they can skip it and work on the next one.

I'm working on setting up a State Machine where they can set the status to "Complete" "Return to Originator" and now "In Process" (or "I've got it."), and also "Initial".  The idea is that the workflow goes to the original Flexi Task and all 5 get it.  One of them looks at it and sets it to "In Process".  That completes the Flexi Task, but it comes right back around to another Flexi Task that is assigned only to that respondent.  Then when they complete the job, they go back to SharePoint and bring up that task and complete it.  Alternatively, if they take it on, and for some reason can't finish and need to throw it back to the others in the group, they can set the status to "Initial", in which case the State Machine goes back to the original Flexi Task, and the other group members see this task again.

Is there a better way to do this?  Also, even if one of them starts working a task, and then gets a phone call or something while they are in the middle, someone else could jump in and either do the task, or "Return" the task because the job they were supposed to do was already partially done and so they got confused because the initial conditions were wrong.

Or maybe I should make two Flexi Tasks inside a loop.  The first one is where the responders group members select between "I got this one" or "Skip it".  If they take it, then the second Flexi Task is only assigned to them and they either "Complete" or "Return" it or "Skip it".  If they "Skip it" in either task, it goes back into the pool.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I had a similar problem for my company. 

We have a Department Group for Designers who can all work on Design Tasks that have the particular details needed to create said Design. Obviously it is problematic to have more than one person working on the same Design, so to mitigate this I created what I call a 'Claim Task' before the actual Process Task. 

The Claim Task is a task that is available to anyone in the Department's Group and essentially consists of a Form with the info about the Design Specs, a Button to Cancel (go back), and a (submit) Button to 'Claim'. The Form also has an invisible People Control (Settings -> Appearance -> Visible = No) that is Connected to a Column called "Claimed By" set to the Default Value of {Current User}. 

Because of this, the only thing someone has to do is to open the Task in the Queue, click on the "Claim" button, and their name is put into the "Claimed By" column. The next task that is for Processing that Claim will be assigned to the user found in that particular Column. 

I find this to be incredibly helpful because it also gives you a way to see, at a glance, who is working on what. 

I hope that this helps you to solve your problem. 

Badge +1

Yes.  That's basically what I wound up doing.  I was actually surprised that my users took to it so readily.  They preferred that "two-step" solution to something that could have them schlepping half a block (in a big building) only to find out that someone else was just finishing up the task.  I used different terminology--frankly, yours is better--but the same idea.

Sorry, I didn't notice your post until now.

Thanks!