Office 365 Send an email issue

• 15 August 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +7

Hi Everyone,

I have this problem that sending an email never finishes. I have this group of contacts that has around 200+ members and it seems that the action "Send an email" in the office 365 workflow won't send the email or get stuck in sending the email. But when I just put my email in it, the workflow successfully run. But when I created this kind of workflow in the On-Prem version it does successfully run without errors or even being stuck.

Also, some of the members of the group already left our company so some of the email in the group does not exist. But still I don't get the email saying that "Delivery fail" or any other error stating that it fails to send a particular email on this person that doesn't exist.

Is there anyone here experience the same thing as me? If yes, how did you resolve this issue?

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Does the workflow ever actually suspend? Or just "never finishes"? Do you have any log actions in your workflow that can shed light on where exactly it's hanging up? How are you adding these 200 emails, individually, via lookup, or are you sending the email to a group?

Badge +7

Hi ‌,

As I checked. The workflow has been suspended. But I know that the problem is on the "send an email(Group)" action because after the send email action I have an update list item action and it is never executed. To make sure that it is the one causing the problem I put another "send an email" to send email to myself to see if the workflow will run up to that point and after that be stucked. Lastly im sending the email to a group which consist of several emails and smaller groups. Please refer to the image below.

And this is the workflow status (Suspended) theres no error stated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

So, in your screenshot, the workflow has been "Terminated." If you click the small blue "i" icon to the right of "Terminated" (next to Internal Status) it should give you info on why your workflow was terminated. Can you click that and give a screenshot? Also, can you give more info on this group? Is it a SharePoint group or an Active Directory group? 

Badge +7

Yes it is a active directory group. I run it again so I can see the reason why it got suspended.

This is the error.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

A-ha, as I suspected, it doesn't like you having and email addressed to an AD group:

206663_pastedImage_1.png

Can you create a test SharePoint group that has just you? Make sure you grant your new group appropriate permissions. Check out this link for info on that: Can a Nintex workflow send an email to a Sharepoint group? 

Unfortunately, it does not seem possible ot have an AD group be the recipient of an email action in Nintex Workflow as seen here: https://community.nintex.com/message/51914-sending-email-notifications-to-ad-security-group#comment-52255 

Also, check out this link: https://community.nintex.com/message/65311-re-sending-email-to-sharepoint-group-as-dynamic-name?commentID=65311#comment-… 

Badge +7

Hi again,

Do you mean that I will create a group in sharepoint and put the members of that group? Sorry for taking a lot of your time but can you explain step by step on what will I do?

Thank you so much!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yes, you could create a group in SharePoint that has the same users, then use that SharePoint group as your "address to" item. 

Badge +7

Thanks this solved my problem happy.png