How should I handle a task waiting for approval of a person out of the office?

Badge +7

Hello,

I tried to search for the answer to this, but had no luck.  If a flex-task sends an email to a person for approval, but that person is out of the office, how can the task be approved or delegated or handled?

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

are you on SharePoint on-premises or on O365? In the first case, a user with Full Control may access the task and delegate it to someone else

Badge +7

Thanks for your reply.  We are on SharePoint on-premises.  Where would the user go to access the task and delegate it to someone else?  I have gone to Workflow tasks and clicked on various tasks, some are assigned to me, and some assigned to others.  All of them say "The content of this item will be sent as an e-mail message to the person or group assigned to the item."

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Unless you have customized the task form and removed the link, while you look at a task you should have also a link like the "Delegate" in the picture below

that link is visible only to the user in charge of the task and administrators..

Badge +7

Is your screen shot showing the email?  If so, my problem is that the person who was assigned the task and was sent an email is out of the office.  So I'd like to know how to Approve or Delegate the task to someone else if we don't have this email and the person who received the email is out.  Make sense?

If your screen shot is not showing the email, how do you get to that screen?  When I go to the Workflow Tasks list and click on the task, I get the message "All of them say "The content of this item will be sent as an e-mail message to the person or group assigned to the item."

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi Susie, the screenshot is from a task, I've clicked on a task from the workflow status page (this task form is customized with Nintex Forms but the link should be present and visible also with default SharePoint forms..)

Badge +7

Thank you.  The step I was missing is to click "Edit".  It works as you said.  Thank you.