Question about user license

• 26 January 2006
  • 11 replies

Badge +7
Hi,

I would like to know how is working user license mode.

Assuming I have a 50 users licence key, how does it work ?

- 50 users can access simultaneously the K2 Server
- 50 users can be marked as workflow participant
- other ?

Thanks for your help

11 replies

Badge +4
The named user licensing is based on destination users. In you example, 50 unique users would be able to be destinations for client events. Once a user haas been a destination, the server remembers that user. The following is taken from the K2 Installation PDF on the K2.net 2003 Installation CD.

Managed User License - This enables you to allocate a limited number of
individual user accounts per installation i.e. per K2.net® 2003 Server. This is a Named User license, where a license is required per unique user. This is based on the combined number of users referenced in the destination rules of all the activities on the server. (Each process is made up of multiple activities. On all activities that require user involvement, a destination rule is used to determine which users will have an item placed in their Worklist). If you have a 20 user key installed, only 20 users can be used in the combined destination rules of all the processes on the K2.net Server. As process instances are created, the Worklists of all K2.net users are monitored to determine how many users have been addressed by destination rules. It thus does not make a difference whether users were directly referenced (by name) in a destination rule, or were members of a referenced group, or were included in a destination queue. If the number of users referenced in destination rules is greater than the number of licensed users, the next Process Instance will go into an Error state. When you view the error in the Error Profiles in the K2.net 2003 Service Manager, you will see that the error condition states that the users exceed the number of licenses available. User licenses are not shared between the K2.net 2003 servers.

I hope this answers your question. You can also find out about other licensing models in the same document.
Badge +7
Ok, thanks,

Just to be sure, does it count destination user for running processes or all processes. I mean, if a user is a destination user only for a process instance and never for other process instances, as soon as the process instance is terminated, is the user still on the license user list... does he still consum a license ?
Badge +11
For sure - since this user has already participated in a process.

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +7
Ok so let's imagine a user participates in a process and leave the company, he is still consuming a licence whereas he is not more part of the process...

Is there a way to clear the license user list ?
Badge +11
If the process has been completed, the user will consume a license until the next time K2.net Server is restarted. On the restart, licenses will be recalculated based on Active processes only.

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +4
We purchased like a thousand K2 licenses.

In the workflow, we use queues as destinations. There are two types of queues: one for production and one for testing. The workflow code will check whether or not it is production environment in runtime. If it is production envrionment, it loads production queue, otherwise, it loads testing queues.

Problem:
We run into error state saying that we have exceeded the total number of licenses.

In K2 Service manager, I repair the problem by commenting out the testing queue. Then it works.

So it seems that the Workflow includes the accounts in the testing queue into the total number of licenses used?

How to solve this problem????

Thanks
LW
Badge +9
Hi Guys,

Just to clarify, K2.net makes use of NUL s (Named User Licenses), the 10% rule as explained above is incorrect. If you have a 10 User license you will only be able to use 10 unique users as part of your destination rules/queues. Once the first 10 unique users has been used you will get the error as mentioned in previous post each time you use a unique user other than the existing 10. K2.net does not distinguish between Development environments and Production environments, a user is an user and as soon as you exceed the number of unique users determined by the key you will get the error. I would suggest that you do not share the same server for production and development. Please contact your sales representative to determine what license keys you have available for production and development.
Badge +11
My best recommendation would be to contact your local K2.net Sales representative. I know this is a bit confusing but they (sales reps) should be able to explain this to you a lot better than I can.

Client Access Licenses (CALS) makes out part of Enterprise Agreements whereas Named User Licenses (NULS) are meant for "smaller" customers - if I may.

HTH,
Ockert
Badge +13
Verified with local sales rep. The license description in the above picture is accurate.

(CAL) requires you buy to more license when exceeding 10% of original.
I take that if you bought 1,000, then anything after 1,100 will give you the error msg.

(NUL) Named User license, as you pointed out, is based on the unique users allocated to the system.
Badge +1
I don't understand how NUL's is evaluated??
Live case.
We have 100 CAL (NUL?)
We start proceses and reach the limit, so we get License Error.
We did't finish any of processes and restart the server and BINGO, here we go again. We can work again.
So I guess that NUL's is evaluated per users with active processes not per unique user.
In our activities, destination users are AD groups (multiple slots) so when proces is beyond that activity, but stil

acctive, the NUL number must decrease??
If NUL is evaluated per unigue user like 'carl' posted, how it is posible that restarting of server release some

licences?? (All process are stil active.) And with this scenario we can use all licences with one proces??
Example:You can make AD group with 110 users, create activity (slot for each destination) and bind a group as

destination rule. 1 user of 110 in group will complete the activity, the other 109 will not even know about the

worklist item (expired), the proces is still active (or completed) and we lost 110 licences? That is ok but, with my

expirience when I made restart of K2 server, I get back 109 licenses(if proces is active)!!??
Thanks
Badge +11
Does this apply to k2 Black pearl