How to add Request Data Attachment to my current Item

• 22 April 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

A bit of background... I have a list where one person enters an new item (Request), which I have in a content type called "Request", and another person goes and enters comments and attaches a file under the "Action" content type. Then, by changing the status, the item is sent to another team to review and complete task (content type "Complete Request"). 

I have a workflow where I am able to request data from the last team to provide comments and a additional file attachment. When the task is completed, I am able to set the field value to show the comments on my current item under the "Action" content type. However, I cannot get the attachment to show. Basically, we need to see the inital file that was sent to them (which I can see as it was added by the first team) and the additional attachment added by the second team. 

Unfortunately, I am not using nintex forms as it is not enabled in our Sharepoint soI have to work with the regular Sharepoint Form and I do not have Sharepoint Designer.

Thank you so much for your help!

Jen

2 replies

Badge +17

@JenelBen Jen,

Thanks for your question. I would ask, why are you creating 3 different content types when the information could all sit under one content type?

As for attachements, if the document is the main source that you want people to review and edit, then I would suggest flipping this and building your solution on a library not a list. That way you can take advantage of check-ins and check-outs and allow people to upload versions or documents. Attachments on a list are okay as well, but trickier to get access to.

Badge +1

Thanks @eharris04 for your reply. The reason why we have 2 content types is because one team creates the item, the second team then can add information that only needs to be visible by them. The second team then actions the request, adds an attachment that shows additional information and sends it back to the first team to for further review or approval. 

The document is not the main source of the request, that’s why I am not creating a document library. 

Thank you! 

Jen