Save Datafields before Starting Process

• 7 December 2006
  • 4 replies

Badge +9
Under what circumstances would they need to rekey data?

I ask because if you are trying to provide the users with a method to partially complete data before submitting to a process, there is a very simple way to accomplish this by factoring this functionality into the process itself. You can check for partially completed data within a line rule that leads to an activity and client event with the destination set to the originator. This would allow the data entry form to appear on their K2 worklist. This would remove the need for you to have to write custom DB interaction code in your UI to insert and update data as well as retrieve lists of partially completed.

However, if you reason for this posting is something other than the scenario I describe above, I'd need more info on commenting.

4 replies

Badge +5
Is it possible to save the datafields (in case the submitter does not know how to fill out all the fields) before calling the StartProcessInstance using K2Rom? I thought the update method would do it, but as the submitter I get an error saying that I don't have rights to update.
Badge +9
No, because the process instance does not actually exist within K2 until the StartProcessInstance method is invoked. The K2ROM CreateProcessInstance method merely returns a template of a process (in the form of an instantiated object).

Why do you need to save data to K2 before starting a process?
Badge +5
Thanks Bob! The reason why this would be good to have would be in case a submitter forgets all the fields, he or she would have the ability to save off all the fields they currently entered so they would not have to re-key everything in again. What would be your suggestion for this getting around this? Saving off the data in a db?
Badge +5
Brilliant! That would probably work. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!