Form submitting without Firing Validation Rules

• 11 September 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

I read a few articles that did not really answer the question of a form submitting without validating. Can some one point me in a better direction. My form has fields that if it is empty then fire the validation rule required. If I hit submit without entering any information on the form it redirects to my Thank You page. Shouldn't this be validating fields first?

I tried validation of using runtime, isNullOrEmpty(Point_of_Contact),as well as, isNullOrEmpty({Self}), neither work. The Point_of_Contact and Self is from Named Controls.

I thought it was custom CSS for the submit and cancel that changes the background color to green for submit and red for cancel. I since removed it and made no effective change, still submitting without firing the validation rules first.

I removed the redirect to thank you page on submit and it still submitted form without firing the validation rules.

I removed and add a new submit button with same effects.

Lost and Baffled,

Pete

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

check following:

- make sure that button that submits your form is really configured to "Save and submit" action

- make sure there are not reported any errors for the form on developer console

- make sure your validation rule formula really evaluates to what you expect - add a calculated value control on the form and configure for it just the same formula as for validation rule. check how does it evaluate before you submit form.

Badge +5

Marian Hatala wrote:

check following:

- make sure that button that submits your form is really configured to "Save and submit" action

Absolutely does

New to me, how do I do this

- make sure your validation rule formula really evaluates to what you expect - add a calculated value control on the form and configure for it just the same formula as for validation rule. check how does it evaluate before you submit form.

Also new to me, never worked with calculated values. Can you offer me some info and I will see what I can learn from it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

New to me, how do I do this

press F12 in browser. new window should appear. switch to the Console tab on the window.

now run your form. watch console output.

if there appear any error, it might be the reason why validations are not applied.

Also new to me, never worked with calculated values. Can you offer me some info and I will see what I can learn from it?

you should be able to find 'Calculated value' control on right-hand side controls pane/General tab

207491_pastedImage_6.png

simply drag and drop it on form. double-click on it to open configuration dialog and you  should see formula input box there.

so click on icon next to it and build just the same formula like you have for validation.

207492_pastedImage_8.png

Badge +5

‌,

Thank you VERY much. I learned something new.

When bringing up the console mode there were rules set to a control that showed the very long alphanumeric numbers. Once I corrected those the form validates correctly now

Such a simple solution and yet I banged my head. makes me wonder why instead of control name it changed it to the alpha numeric name. All the other fields did not change.

Again, GREATLY appreciated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

this happens if you remove a control from the form. form control's GUID cannot be converted to it's name anymore.