Nintex is causing my Workflows to fail after it was uninstalled

• 20 December 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I have a SharePoint 2013 farm (3 app servers, 2 web servers, and a SQL server) and at one point our previous SharePoint administrator installed a Nintex solution on the farm. It has since been removed and now I am getting plagued with issues with our form workflows. Our forms are built in InfoPath and our Workflows are all built through SharePoint Designer.

When a Workflow kicks off, it is quickly going into a "Failed on Start" status. When I log onto the server and check the ULS logs the error that coincides with my workflows failing is as follows:

"Load Workflow Class: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Nintex.Workflow, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=913f6bae0ca5ae12' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

The problem is, we no longer have any Nintex solutions deployed on the farm. So I don't see how a solution we no longer have deployed is causing these issues but it is and this is a major issue.

How can I remove all reference to Nintex entirely so that all the form workflows on my farm actually start working again?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Dean,

When uninstalled, did the admin follow the Uninstall Nintex Workflow 2013.pdf guide? There should not be any remaining dependencies once the solutions are properly removed. If this guide was not followed, you should be able to reinstall the solutions and then follow the proper procedures.  You should be able to download the latest installation bits from the Product Downloads page.

For further reference, this Quick Reference for Nintex Features, Content Types, and Field IDs can be used if you are building out any PowerShell to quickly identify where features may be activated.

Badge +1

How much of the installation would I have to gothrough? Would I do the full product configuration as well, or should I just stop after the installation? Will my not having a license file be a hinderance in the installation process?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

You should just have to redeploy the solutions. Chad Austin can you confirm? 

I believe if you are just deploying the solutions to do the proper removal steps and you are not planning on running any workflows you should not need a license.  If you were planning on reinstalling and running workflows, but you were not licensed with an active Software Assurance Contract you would likely run into issues.