Problem: Workflows do not show in Workflow Gallery

• 16 July 2016
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Ther is an article by Aaron Labiosa on how to resolve an issue where workflows no longer show up in the workflow gallery. You can see the article here

In this article he is speaking about a site that has been migrated and so the SharePoint list ID is no longer valid. Step 4a is a bit cryptic since it assumes the field is editable, which on my site it is not even though the edit form shows the field being available. Maybe it only actually displays if the field has a value to eidit in the first place?

Here's my situation. This is happening on a brand new 2013 site. We recently upgraded our Nintex Workflow engine from 3.1.1.0 to 3.1.8.0 and thats when it started happening. It happens randomly which makes it more maddening. Specifically workflows are not showing up on _layouts/15/NintexWorkflow/WorkflowGallery.aspx. In his article he says to navigate to /NintexWorkflows/Forms/AllItems.aspx and update the list association id there. I checked that location on a site which is displaying workflows correctly and there is no list association ID in that library either so it appears that is not relevant to the situation.

Here is the screenshot of the list that is not always getting populated with published workflows just to be clear:

empty list.png

This is the library you get to by choosing 'Manage Workflow Inventory'.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

9 replies

Badge

I had a similar problem. It seems that with some operations, one of the referencing GUIDs are not correct.

I had the problem, that the workflows were not shown in the inventory, but the workflow was still there, as with a simple workaround (choose to create a new workflow in designer and select "Open" in the ribbon to load an existing workflow)  they were all still there and editable.

Every workflow is referenced in its Nintex configuration database, so I opened the associated Nintex database with SQL manager. The database contains a table called "Workflows", where all workflows are listed. In my case, the missing workflows had a wrong information in the SiteID column. The GUID was not corresponding to the containing SharePoint SiteCollection. I then corrected the value in the table for all the missing workflows, and they appeared immediately on the inventory pages within SharePoint.

These manipulations were done on a test system. I don't think that Nintex is supporting direct database editing, so please be careful when trying the same procedure.

I have no idea, how this inconsistency could happen, but I think the mentioned workflows were exported from one environment and then re-imported in another environment. The import process hasn't updated the SiteId reference, which led to this behavior.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks for that I'll check out that table and see if something is going on there. This is happening when I build a new site via powershell but I'm adding the .nwf from a directory to the list so there might be something to this.

I'll check it out and post back.

Thanks!

Badge +2

I was told yesterday by Nintex Support that it is because of how they changed the Object Model from Gallery's to Inventory.  It seems like the DB does not update all the Objects and then you run into this issue.

I newest update failed last night, so doing a update to see if it fixes the issue has not been done.  But luckly I have exported the WF's before this.  I can see the workflows w/ SP Designer.  I delete it there and all the past runs under Workflow Settings.  Re Import and the workflow is back.  (I did this w/ support yesterday)

Badge +2

I upgraded to July's update tonight.  After an IIS reset all workflows showed up.  happy.png

Badge

Definitely the better solution than modifying the database..... if you're able to easily update Nintex with the newest release... ;-)

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I'm not in a situation where I can upgrade the Nintex workflow since we have a Nintex Partner who would need to verify their solution works with that version. But I checked the entry in the Workflow table in my newest site. The quids are correct for web app, site, web and list but the WF is not showing in the gallery. So in my case it doesn't appear guid related.

The Minor Version is 1 and the Major version is 0. My script only adds the workflow to the list but doesn't publish it since it needs some manual configuration before getting published. My hunch is that MajorVersion is autoincremented when the workflow is published. Other than that everything looks normal.

Guess I'll need to wait until my provider publishes an update.

Badge +2

I would be on that partner to get it done.

in 3.1.8.0 they fix the issue.

• Resolved an issue whereby the Workflow Inventory on a cloned site collection was not populated (37614)
Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Actually, we are currently on 3.1.8.0. Does the July update make that 3.1.8.1?

Also, we aren't using cloned site collections. We us Host Named site colelctions set up new from a plain old team site template.

Badge +2

They say cloned but I is an issue with the way they updated the DB and how they show the old version of WF gallery vs WF inventory.