How to send a reminder notification for document approval

Badge +2

Hello All,

I am a newbie to Nintex workflow and I hope to get some help or suggestions.  I currently have a workflow I'm creating with Nintex WF for SharePoint 2013 on-premise.  The WF is a document approval worflow.  Once the document is uploaded, a notification gets sent to the Approver in the process and the statuses they have to select from are 'Approval' 'Approval with Comment', 'Further discussion needed' and 'Disapproved'.  Depending on what is selected, an email notification is sent to the next person in the process for review and they have the same statuses to select from.  I was able to do this with a switch action.  What I really need and want to do is to set a 3 days to review time limit for the document when the notification is sent.  I tried using flexi but I got all the more confused.  I know this can be done but I think my approach isn't the right one.  Any idea of how I can send a 3 day reminder to review the document once it's been uploaded and once the approver has updated the document with a status?

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank You!

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

could you post how does your current design look like?

if I understood your scenario correctly, and you use only switch action then I'm affraid that's not suitable design.

imho, you would need a state machine workflow.

have a look on these blogs that might provide you with closer description how to design/use state machine workflows

Document Review and Approval (State Machine) Workflow 

Using State Machine Workflows 

State Machine by Example 

Pick up where you left off 

if you search through the forum you will definitely find further examples.

Badge +2

Here's a partial design.  I had to break my workflow into 4.  3 of the workflows is similar to what you see below.  There are 3 stages of approval that follow the same design.  I am new to Nintex, so my design is probably very poor but I'm willing to learn.  Can I have several branches with the state machine?  I will look for tutorials on it.

217024_pastedImage_1.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

switch action doesn't allow you to manage approval process. it only ensures just one of the branches is executed. but to "switch" to another approval step you'd really need state machine.

Can I have several branches with the state machine? 

sure, study links I provided