URMService Exception: Attempting to select Groups as destinations

• 13 June 2009
  • 2 replies

Badge +6

I am trying to assign an AD group as destination for an activity which will contain an infopath client event. When trying to access the AD groups below the K2 label in the visual studio designer, no groups are retrieved, after a long while an exception error message is displayed.

The error read as.... Message: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. Add failed. Duplicate key value supplied; ServiceName: URMService...Guid....

I checked the K2 Broker Management Tool and matched the guid of the error message to the one deployed within the K2 broker. I noticed that the URM Service type did exist using the Smart Object Tester Tool below the Service Explorer. But below the Smart Object explorer, the "All SmartObjects" node is missing, which contain all OOTB K2 smart objects as well as any custom ones deployed.

I checked the ldap path in Workspace on the server, this checked out fine when I navigated to the path in IE, which popped up the AD Search UI successfully.

Anyone has an idea? Noticed that patch .370 of 0807 is not installed currently on the K2 Server, might have an influence? Could something have gone corrupted with the K2 server config not being able to connect to AD no more?

2 replies

Badge +6

Have finally solved this one...seems that this might be a bug within the installation of the K2 Designer for Visual Studio when installing on a client machine for development and deployment purposes.

When trying to access groups of AD using the K2 context browser, an exception messages is thrown regarding a duplicate key value supplied for the K2 URMService. Upon looking more closely to the details for the error exception, it is mentioned that the following dll can not be found...SourceCode.Security.UserRoleManager.Management.

I searched the entire client machine for this dll and did not find it off course, hence the exception message. I did in fact found a similar dll called SourceCode.Security.userRoleManager.Client which makes more sense as this is the client machine after all.

Then I searched for the "Management" dll on the server which I did find there, also making sense to have that one located on the server.

Clearly the installation does not copy the "Management" dll for installing on a client machine. Or the client installation should be making use of the "Client" dll and not the "Management" one to access AD via the K2 context browser within Visual Studio. I copied the "Management" dll from the server to the client machine and registered it within the GAC, also rebooted. That seemed to solve the problem.

Anyone encountered this problem before?

Hope this might be helpfull to someone, as it was a rather painfull experience for me!!!!

Badge +6

After logging a call with K2 Support, this problem has been officially announced to be a bug within the installation of the K2 Designer for Visual Studio.

Workaround...

1. Copy the SourceCode.Security.UserRoleManager.Management assembly from the K2 Server program files installation folder to the deployment/development 

machine

2. Register the copied assembly within the GAC on the deployment/development machine

3. Reboot the deployment/development machine

4. Open the K2 Designer for Visual Studio, open the K2 context browser and navigate to the User Browser

5. Expand and/or search for AD groups, results will be found without throwing the URMService exception