K2 Blackpearl and MOSS 2007 Integration

• 23 June 2009
  • 1 reply

Badge

I had some basic questions related to K2 Blackpearl and MOSS 2007 integration that I wasn't able to figure out based on K2 documentation or existing forum posts, so hopefully someone can help me out.  I'm relatively new to K2 so bear with me as some of these questions may seem rather basic: 

1.  How can I provide a way for users to manually start a process?  I know I can initiate a K2 process based on SharePoint events, but I wasn't sure how to allow the user to do this manually.  Context:  The client has a document library with each document containing details for a project.  At any given time after a document has been uploaded, one or more users must be able to initiate an approval process for that document. 

2.  How can I set properties of a document within a process?  For example, I want to set a date field for a document after the manager has approved it.  Is this achieved through Content Fields and Metadata mappings? 

3.  How can I create a conditional process?  Context:  We have 3 user types, Document Creator, Manager, and Director.  Document Creators and Managers can initiate the approval process.  If the Originator of the process is a Document Creator, the document must be approved by the Manager first, then by the Director.  Otherwise the document only needs approval from the Director. 

4.  How can I retrieve properties of the Originator of a process, such as the user id?  Context:  See number 3 above.  I need to determine if the Originator is a Document Creator or a Manager.  The document that is being reviewed contains information that relates it to a separate document library of facilities, and that related document contains the Manager for the facility.  I need to determine if the Originator is the Manager for that facility.

Any help for either of the above questions would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know if you need any further information.  I need to complete this work by the end of the week, so please respond as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Arif

1 reply

Badge +6

Hello Arif,

All your needs correspond to K2 Out Of the Box feature. You can find some help with the following post: http://k2underground.com/blogs/chrisg/archive/2008/05/06/so-you-want-to-learn-more-about-k2-but-are-not-sure-where-to-go.aspx.

Otherwise, the key points are:

1. use either the "Sharepoint event process" or the "Sharepoint Workflow Integration" process.
  2. use the "sharepoint document event" or the "sharepoint list event"
  3. this is a design time question. You can create rules at several level on your process, on a link, when an activity is created, when an activity is completed... at each level you can evaluate contextual information.
  4. the id of the originator is registered at the process instance level (you can find if using API on your .net form or using the context browser during design time).

HTH