K2 blackpearl server not recognising InfoPath

Badge +3

I am doing a workflow with InfoPath integration. When I attempt to modify the form via the “design” option in the integration wizard I get the following error:

The form template cannot be opened in the InfoPath designer, because InfoPath is not installed on the machine.   at SourceCode.Workflow.Design.InfoPath.Common.GetInfoPathExePath(ProductVersions version)

at SourceCode.Workflow.Design.InfoPath.FormTemplateItem.OpenInDesignMode(Boolean workflowEnable)

at SourceCode.Workflow.Wizards.InfoPath.ManageFormTemplatesPage.designItem()

InfoPath 2007 was not installed on the K2 server. I have now installed it and used it once to make sure it is initialised, but I still get the error.

How do I get K2 to see InfoPath so that I can modify the form?

10 replies

Badge +4

Hi dregel

Have you tried re-running your K2 Configuration Manager?

Hope this helps,

Badge +3

Hi Wessel

Tried your suggestion but it didn’t help us. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Badge +6

I think, this problem has occured due to submit options is not configured properly,

Anyways, could you please send me the screen shot of the submit options, so that i can look and check. Thanks

Badge +4

Hi dregel

Ok, so just to clarify. You had InfoPath2003 when you tried to integrated with K2 blackpearl and then you installed Infopath2007. So the process where you are getting this error was already built when you upgraded to InfoPath2007. So its still an InfoPath2003 template in the integration. For test purposes, can you please build a new Infopath process and check if the error excists when you try to edit the Template in the New Process.

With your current process, open the solution folder of your project and find the InfoPath template located there. Edit that template and publish it to the Location that you have specified in your K2 process when you specified the Location to where the form should be puplished too. Save the template and close. When you have completed this, open your process and run through the InfoPath Integration wizard again and finish the wizard(do not edit the template). Then save the process and try to edit the template again after you went through the wizard.

Hope this helps,

Badge +3

Hi madhann

The options you are talking about, are they in one of the InfoPath Wizards, in the integration wizard or in the client wizard? I'm not not sure where they appear.

Thanks

dregel

Badge +3

Hi wessel

My situation is different to what you described. When K2 was installed on the server there was NO version of InfoPath (or any part of the Office suite) on the server, only SharePoint. Later on Office Pro 2003 was installed for a different reason.

My InfoPath template was created in 2007 on my notebook. Then I started building the process in question on my notebook, and ran the integration wizard etc. I deployed the process and attempted to run it, but got an error in the InfoPath client event (error was: "Invalid URI: The URI is empty."). When attempting to change the design of the template to fix the problem, I ran into that long error error message originally posted and I then upgraded the instalation to Office 2007 Pro Plus.

I have tried a brand new process built after the changes and the re-run of the config manager, but still get the same error. 

So given all of that I'm assuming your advice for me will change. A tech from K2 in Sydney is advising re-running the instalation wizard - but that is a scary prospect considering the headaches my colleague had during the initial install. Just running the K2 Config Manager again put our SharePoint offline because of changes it made to IIS.

Is there anything else we might try before re-running the installer? 

Thanks, dregel

Badge +3

Hi wessel

It seems I had misunderstood where to re-run the config manager. Apparently it is on my dev client machine, not on the K2Server. I have tried that and it didn't fix the problem, so may need to re-install K2 components on my client machine. I cannot remember the exact sequence, but it is possible that I only had Office 2003 installed on my notebook when I installed the K2 Visual studio components.

At least I don't need to mess around with the server. I'll let you know if I manage to fix it.

dregel

Badge +3

Hi wessel

An update: 

I have tried the following on my machine:
* re-running K2 config manager
* the repair option of the k2setup.exe
* removing and reinstalling K2 for Visual studio, via the modify option of k2setup.exe (with reboot in between)
* after the reinstall of the VS components the config manager ran for the VS components too.

I still get the error.

The InfoPath template was created in 2007 on my machine, but is now located on a file share on the K2 server.
I remember now that at the time of installing the K2 components on my machine, I had both InfoPath 2003 and 2007 installed, which might have confused things. I have since uninstalled the 2003 version. My Office 2007 is the Pro Plus edition.

I have logged a support ticket with K2 via the customer portal. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

dregel

Badge

Hi dregel,

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue.

Thanks,
Devon

Badge +3

Hi dbyrd

Sorry for the late reply.

I got the following instructions from K2 labs:
’Go to "SoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionApp PathsInfoPath.exe" in your registry, there you will see a "Path" value if you do not then create a new string value with the the name "Path" and in the "Value Data" portion add the path to the infopath exe folder, for example, "C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficeOffice12"
- Note, the actually ".exe" does not need to be in the "Value Data" string. '

It was a while back, and looking back at the support ticket notes, I said:
I had to put the path into the "default" string value as well - I copied the format from the Winword.exe key which has the path and full filename in the default string value. It didn't work without adding this and just having the path as per your instructions.

Hope that helps. Cheers.