Performance issue with Scheduled Workflows

• 23 April 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

Hello 

This is my first post, I've seen there is quite a lot of info in general but I'd like to have a fresh opinion. 

We're on Sharepoint 2013, Nintex Workflow 2013 (3.0.8.0)

Very regularly, a scheduled workflow fails to start. We have multiple workflows that can be scheduled in different sites, and it's always the same one that fails, others seems to be fine. 

When I go to this particular site, and try to display the Scheduled Workflows page (site settings -> Scheduled workflows) the page never shows and I eventually get an error after a few minutes. 

The interesting part is that I've set up SQL monitoring to check what's going on and here is the weird thing: 

I can see the following stored procedure taking 15 seconds to run:

exec GetScheduledWorkflowsForWeb @WebId='xxxx'

When I run the same query in SQL studio, it's instantaneous. Furthermore, there's only 550 rows which doesn't look like many. 

My questions are: 

- Is it safe to assume that there is a link between the performance problem to load the scheduled workflows page and the fact that they quite often fail to start ? 

- The table has a number of items with NextRunTime = 9999-12-31, is it safe to purge them ? 

9 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

May be it will help to fix your issue

you can use pause for few min's like 2 to 5 min's at the initial of the workflow to perform further action items. 

Badge +2
Hello

Thanks for the suggestion but that won't help me. The workflow are scheduled and they fail to start, adding a pause cannot help in that situation.
Badge +3

Hi @etienneg,

Are the workflows fail always?

Did you try to remove the schedule and then re-add?

Did you try to re-create the workflow?

Does your workflow contain ForEach action and Update Item/Start Workflow actions in it?

Badge +2

Hi @Jekaterina 

It's only the schedule of the workflow that fails, not the workflow itself. 

What about the fact that I cannot load the page showing scheduled workflow and the SQL perf ? 

Badge +3

@etienneg,

Could it be that the issue is related to timer job?

Managing workflow schedules

Scheduled workflows and the Nintex Workflow Scheduler timer job

Badge +2

Thanks I will read through those.

We have other sites with scheduled workflows where it's working fine, it's only one particular workflow that causes this issue and I'm starting to think it's all a performance issue and that I need to purge some old records. 

What happens is that the workflow gets scheduled to run at 8 am at a certain date, the timer job picks it up, attempts to start the workflow, it fails, and then keeps failing every time the timer job runs (every 6 minutes in our config). I have to manually delete the schedule and manually start the workflow. 

Badge +3
With which account the workflow is scheduled?
Ensure that you are not using service account if the global setting 'Allow workflow schedules to impersonate the system account' in CA is disabled.
Badge +2

Hi again

Unfortunately nothing has helped so far.

Can someone please have a look and answer those questions from original post ?

My questions are: 

- Is it safe to assume that there is a link between the performance problem to load the scheduled workflows page and the fact that they quite often fail to start ? 

- The table has a number of items with NextRunTime = 9999-12-31, is it safe to purge them ? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have you seen this?

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Best-Practices/The-Nintex-Workflow-Scheduler-Job/ta-p/86107?collapse_discussion=true&filter=location&location=category:Knowledge_Base&q=create%20index%20scheduled%20-release&search_type=thread

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Error-quot-Failed-to-Start-Retrying-quot-for-Scheduled-Site/ta-p/85999?collapse_discussion=true&filter=location&location=category:Knowledge_Base&page=3&q=create%20index%20scheduled%20-release&search_type=thread