Option to start more than one workflow from the item menu

• 9 February 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi, 

I have a list with 2 workflows enabled. I can select 'Enable workflow to start from the item menu' on both workflows separately, publish them separately and the option to run the workflow will appear. However when I select this option on both workflows and publish them both only one of the workflows appear. 

They both have different labels and I've tried using multiple positions. Does anybody know if it is possible to add multiple workflows to the item menu list?

Many thanks, 

Bobby

4 replies

Badge +11

Hi Bobby,

did you give different sequence numbers for that workflows? I could image giving them the same number results in this issue.

The sequence number represents the order in which your workflows will be shown in the item menu.

If that doesn't work, you can also use SharePoint designer to create a custom action (for example an action in your list item menu) and use this custom action to call your workflow. (Example to get you started: http://www.abelsolutions.com/creating-a-custom-action-in-2-steps-with-sharepoint-designer/)

Regards

Philipp

Badge +6

Hey Bobby Griffiths‌,

works in my scenario:

198637_pastedImage_1.png

Here's my configuration:

198647_pastedImage_2.png

198648_pastedImage_3.png

Best regards,

Jan

Badge

I've encountered this challenge as well - and it was not fixed by using numbers 1, 2, 3 etc. in the item position box. There is a very clear use case for solving this problem: Present users with the ability to trigger important workflows in a more accessible way. 

I've researched and experimented with this a bit, and I have managed to determine that there are some codes that can be used:

Top Position: 0
Second: 200
Third: 255
Fourth: 898
Fifth: 900
Sixth: 1000
Seventh: 1050
Eighth: 1100
Ninth: 1175
Last: 2000

This really does solve a presentation challenge for multiple workflows that are much better presented one click away.

I'm really not sure why one of the following two options isn't taken by Nintex:

1. Change the numbering so that 1, 2, 3, etc. can be used reliably. This would be far more intuitive. Why not even present a dropdown dialog rather than asking the user to enter a number? Make it intuitve.
  2. This information isn't presented in the Nintex Help files. Maybe a Product Manager/Developer at Nintex will take note, validate such codes, and provide them in the help file available through the "Workflow Settings" dialog?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I also encountered this bug: only the last WF I published was displayed in the item menu (whereas it was configured in three workflows).

I had to deactivate the possibility of starting each workflow from the item menu, published them, then reactivate each workflow to start from the item menu and published them again. After that each menu item appeared in the item context menu.