Can anyone explain the Discovery Service Port for multiple farms?

• 31 December 2015
  • 2 replies

Badge +8

I've got multiple K2 farms (Dev,test,prod). They were all installed with the default port of 49600. What is this port used for and does it need to run through the load balancer?

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hello,

Port 49600 is the K2 Farm 'heartbeat port'. This port is used by the K2 Servers to determine whether other farm members are online.The discovery port service is only used by workspace to find what K2 servers are on the network and it uses that 49600 port specifically to do so.

I would say you don't need to run this through the load balancer but it couldn't hurt. If you do not run it through the load balancer and you are having issues seeing any of the servers on the farm in workspace then it might be caused by not having this traffic configured to run through the load balancer. It is not something critical to the function of K2 but for viewing your environments from workspace it may prove to be necessary. 

-Evan

Badge +11

@EvanM That's actually interesting as based on Discovery Service port definition + recommendation to use hosts file on each node to resolve cluster name to loop-back address it is difficult to imagine why this port may be needed to be added to NLB as we do load balancing for client side requests (i.e. ports client accessing). If Discovery Service port "is used by the K2 Servers to determine whether other farm members are online" then all we need to do is to make sure our firewall allows connectivity via this port between all K2 servers within farm and clients not even need to have access to this port, and consequently it should not be load balanced either. As far as I can judge from definition/usage of this port.