Create a New Word Document in a library from a list item

• 4 December 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

I have a list with metadata.  I created a workflow for a document library that has essentially the same metadata.  I'm using the Create Item action to set the variables from the list item and write them to the metadata in the document library for a specific document content type.  The workflow fails at the Create Item.  I've looked at other posts and haven't found an answer to this dilemma.  Is the Create Item only meant for list to list and not list to document library?

Thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Yes you can create an item in a document library using the create item action. My only question is how are you completing the Name field as this is a compulsory field and requires a document or at least the name of a document to be provided.
What error are you getting when the workflow fails?
Badge +5

So, Nintex Support provided the solution to this issue.  I was using variables and creating the document name (Build String) before the Create Item action.  The support person had me put in a Commit Pending Changes after all the variables were set and the Build String for the document name. With this change, the workflow now creates and document in the document library using the metadata from a list item.  Yeah!!!

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Community-Blogs/Defensive-Workflow-Design-Part-5-Batching/ba-p/80267