sharepoint list synchronization

• 25 June 2008
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hi all,

I am trying to build a part of my process that is similar to the built in sharepoint list alert. The process is triggered by a SharePoint event process, when an item is changed on List A.  Here is how I have mapped out the activity:

1. Get List Items from List B

2. Send an email that shows the fields from the process folio data and List B (to show which fields have been changed)

3. Update List A with the process folio data

I am having some problems in the last step.  Basically, it is a step to synchronize List A and List B, but when I use the SharePoint List Item Wizard and choose Update List Item, I could not seem to map the new data to the correct List Item ID.  Could somebody please help a newbie here?  Thanks in advance!

Brian

6 replies

Badge +11

Hi Brian,

Are you asking how you specify the list item ID in the SharePoint List Item Wizard?  You can specify it on the same page of the wizard where you specifiy the SharePoint site URL and list in the field called "List Item ID".  I think the real trick in this case is finding the ID of the item you wish to update.  In that case, you might want to take a look at the SharePoint Search Wizard.

Badge +3

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick response.  Yes, I was having a little bit of problem with the ID of the specific list item.  Basically, there should be only 1 item on both List A and List B.  When I run the List Item wizard to update list item and specify the list item ID to be 1, the process deploys properly, but it would not update List B.  When I go into ViewFlow for the process, the update list event was never processed. 

Rather than using the Update List Item wizard, I have tried to break it down into two steps; first deleting the list item (where item ID = 1) and then creating a list item and specifying the list item to be 1.  But I am seeing a similar behavior with this method also, as the process simply fails to write to the list at the specified item ID number.

I hope I have explained my problem in a clear manner.  Once again thanks for the help.

Brian

Badge +11

Brian,

Here are two things to check:

1.  Make sure the account running the blackpearl service has appropriate rights to the site/list.

2.  Make sure the list item ID is truly 1.  You should be able to see the IDs by displaying the column in the view.  I don't know it is safe to always assume the number will be 1.

Are there any errors showing up in the management console?

David

Badge +3

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply again.

1.  The _K2Service account that is running the blackpearl service does in fact have full control permissions to the site collection.

2.  I have double checked the list item ID on the particular list by doing directly to the item's .aspx page, and confirmed from the URL that it is item=1.  Also, I changed the view to show the list ID.

3. There are no errors showing in the management console.

Another interesting note that I have noticed with my SharePoint List Items wizard is that I can Delete an list item when supplying a list item ID.  I can also Get List Item contents by supplying an list item ID.  However, both Updating List Item and Creating List Item do not seem to be functioning.

Brian

Badge +3

Hi David,

Okay, I feel pretty silly now, because I think I figured out why I am able to delete and get list item data, but I am not able to update, or create list item.  The problem actually has nothing to do with the list item ID. 

When I used the Get List Item wizard, I mapped out the list data to data fields rather than XML fields, and when I sychronize the two lists (update list item), I am basically writing to the list with data fields rather than XML fields.  Perhaps that is not allowed in K2?

The reason why I mapped them out as data fields rather than XML fields is because when I reuse these list data in my email notification, I am seeing a lot of <div> tags from the list item where the data type is a multi line enhanced rich text format.  When I pull these K2 values onto my mail event, I do not want these <div> tags to display.  Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks,

Brian

Badge +11

Brian,

There should be no problem using data fields Vs XML fields.  In my experience the list item event wizard is very commonly used.  I have used it to update list items many times using data fields and I have not seen the results you are seeing.  I assume you are storing them in process-level fields and not activity or instance fields.

Not sure about the why multi line format displays the div tags.  Are you saying you see the <div> tags in the email text?  Are you sending plain text or html emails? 

David