Smartforms: can we create one Master Rule and use for different Objects in different Views

• 4 September 2015
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +7

We are developing a smartform workflow where approvers lists are different based on dropdown option/amount value submitted by user in the form.
example of workflow
if user picked dropdown option A then add IT manager to approver
if user picked dropdown option B then instead of IT manager workflow should go to QA Manager for approval
if amount is more that specific amount then add Finance Manager to approve

Current progress:
I created Rules and conditions based on dropdown and it worked Like a charm.

but if user adds amount more than required than, or change dropdown option i need to duplicate create same rules and conditions again for that textbox

question: can we create one master rule/conditions based on different drop down options/ text box amount/ other options picked by user
then send approver info to workflow to start the workflow

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Priya

It sounds like you are trying to determine an approver by using the value in 2 controls - a drop down list and a text box. In this case what I would do is the following.

1. Add a button or data label control to your form/view and  make it hidden. Call it something like "Get Approver Button"
  2. Add a rule for this new control that performs the logic to determine the approver using the values in the text box and drop down list
  3. In the on change rules for the text box and drop down add a statement to run the rule for the hidden control

You may want to some validation checks before running the rule to ensure the controls contain values.

Badge +7

Thanks Andrew, i tried that and it worked.