Database Mapping

• 12 June 2015
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

This article provides answers to frequent questions about mapping Nintex Workflow and SharePoint content databases.

Looking for Nintex for SharePoint 2016 guidance? See the following link.
http://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2016/current/Default.htm#cshid=dbmapping

Do I need a Nintex content database for every SharePoint site collection using Nintex Workflow?

In many cases we recommend a 1-to-1 mapping, where each Nintex Workflow content database is mapped to a SharePoint content database. However, if you have over 25 SharePoint content databases, you may choose to map databases by department or other grouping. For guidance on planning database mapping and maintenance, see Database Design Guide: Nintex Workflow.

Do mapped databases need to be backed up simultaneously?

Yes. For details, see Nintex Workflow Backup and Restore

How do I split an existing Nintex content database?

You can split Nintex content databases using the NWAdmin operation MoveData. For instructions on how to implement a 1-to-1 mapping for an existing site collection already using Nintex Workflow, see Splitting existing SharePoint and Nintex Content Databases.

How do I split an existing SharePoint content database?

You can split SharePoint content databases using the PowerShell command Move-SPSite. For instructions on how to implement a 1-to-1 mapping for an existing site collection already using Nintex Workflow, see Splitting existing SharePoint and Nintex Content Databases.

What happens if we run workflows before content databases are mapped?

If automatic mapping is enabled, then the system automatically maps the affected SharePoint content database to an available Nintex Workflow content database. If automatic mapping is disabled, then the workflow will not run successfully until the mapping is specified by the administrator. The ability to disable automatic mapping of content databases is available with the latest version of Nintex Workflow. (Minimum version required: Nintex Workflow 2013 version 3.1.5.0 / Nintex Workflow 2010 version 2.4.5.0.)

How do I disable automatic mapping for content databases?

With the latest version of Nintex Workflow, you can disable automatic database mapping via Global Settings. Automatic database mapping is enabled by default. (Minimum version required: Nintex Workflow 2013 version 3.1.5.0 / Nintex Workflow 2010 version 2.4.5.0.)

Can I change the Nintex Workflow content database later?

Yes. You can either change the mapping for new site collections only or for both existing and new site collections.

To change the mapping for new site collections only, select a different Nintex Workflow content database using the Nintex Workflow management pages on Central Administration. The original mapping is retained for any site collections on the SharePoint content database that have already started storing workflow progress data.

To change the mapping for both existing and new site collections on a given SharePoint content database, use the NWAdmin operation MoveData. This operation moves existing workflow progress data to a different Nintex Workflow content database. Using this operation is helpful when you want to keep all site collection data together. For instructions on how to implement a 1-to-1 mapping for an existing site collection already using Nintex Workflow, see Splitting existing SharePoint and Nintex Content Databases. For more information on the MoveData operation, see NWAdmin Operations - Nintex Workflow 2013 or NWAdmin Operations - Nintex Workflow 2010.

1 reply

Badge +1

Hello Pamala,

I got a question for Manage database mappings for existing sites.  Could this simply be done via Central Adminstration?

1.  Add Content Database.

2.  Manage Database Mappings, and for the SharePoint Content Database you want moved just select the new database from 'Map to Workflow Content Database' dropdown, or do I still need to run: NWAdmin.exe -o MoveData [-Url <siteCollectionUrl>] [-SourceDatabase <connection string>] [-TargetDatabase <connection string>] [-RetainSourceData] to move the data?

Thank you for any guidance.

v/r

JShidell