Hello. I'd like to create an approval workflow using 2010 where a field only gets updated if a manager approves else revert back to original date.

• 15 March 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I currently have a SharePoint list that has title, reviewer, and due date. if a person changes the due date manually, i'd like to initiate  workflow where the manager approves/rejects the changed date. if the manager doesn't approve the date, the field doesn't get updated.

I am stuck on keeping the date to it's previous value if it gets rejected. I am using Nintex 2010

thank you

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

unfortunatelly there is not a straightforward way to get previous field's value.

as well, there is not functionality within sharepoint that would allow to change a list field value but make it public just after approval

I would suggest to add one another field like 'proposed new due date'.

once proposed date is approved, workflow will write it to due date field. if not, no change happens.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi there:

So if they are forced to update the list item in a form, you could have the following:

• A field OVER TOP of the due date that ONLY appears if the Current User is NOT equal to the manager.
  • That field could be, as ‌ suggests, "Proposed Date" and defaults to be equal to Due Date.
  • A workflow could be kicked off with the "approve / reject" to the Manager IF "Proposed Date" is NOT empty.
    • If the Manager APPROVES, Proposed Date overrides Due Date.
    • If the Manager REJECTS, Due Date overrides Proposed Date.

This is a way to do it if you don't want to go through the hassle of getting the previous value. It sounds tricky. Sounds like Web Service Calls are required.

(Which I think is weird since you can set a conditional value for a WF to run determined by a previous value.)

Let me know if this helps at all, or, if you need more details.

Cheers,

Rhia

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I do also like the idea of having a secondary field so that non manager users can't touch due date, they can only update proposed new due date. ‌'s idea is good. I just like saving form real estate wherever I can haha.

Badge +1

Thank you both for the quick responses! most likely I'll just send an email when there is a change to that field. At least I can set a trigger where previous value is not equal to current value and current user is not listed as the manager. I'm not using an InfoPath form just using standard SharePoint list fields.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hey!

If you find any from the answers as the solution for your issue please mark it as "Correct" so that other users will know there is a solution if they have similar problem happy.png

Thank you!

Regards,

Tomasz