Workflow stalled in Flexi Task after first loop

Badge +3

I created a workflow with the Flexi Task outcome options of: Accept, Reject, or Request More Information. If the approver requests more information, the initiator updates the Nintex form and resubmits it. It loops back to the original Flexi Task. But it stalls there. I'm fairly new to Nintex, but I've been troubleshooting with my IT department and we can't figure out why it keeps stalling at this step. Any ideas?

I've attached the workflow history log and the Flexi Task settings.

20 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Are you able to provide an export of the workflow or a screen shot of the whole workflow. From what I am seeing I can see design issues.

What happens if you go down the "Request More Information" branch and change state to another branch that does the email and updates and then changes back to the resubmission branch?
Badge +3

Sure. Attached is the export. I also attach a screenshot if you have trouble with the .nfw file.6115i3947A01A735BD95C.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
To stop eratic behavior of a state machine every branch should either have a change state action or an end state machine action. A state machine needs to be ended before the workflow is ended.
You need to get rid of the end workflow actions.

After a change state or end state action there should not be any actions. You have a log in history after a change state on one of the branches.
Badge +3

I only added the log history action to try to capture what the flexi task issue might be. The flexi task issue was happening before I added that in. The same issue occurs if I remove that action. Is there something else that could be causing this error?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

HI,

You only addressed the Log in History action that I mentioned.
Did you look at the other design issues that I pointed out?

Badge +3

Sorry, I overlooked your other comment. What do you mean that a state machine needs to be ended before a workflow ends? How do I end a state machine? Doesn't it just flow to the next state? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm fairly new to Nintex.

Badge +12

@OSuzanna ....there is an option in change state action called "End State Machine". Also, I noticed that you're using multiple update items (one after another) in a single branch. Are you updating different list or same current item? 

Badge +3

@kunalpatel So should I add a second state machine after the first in each branch? The first would direct the workflow to change the state and the second would end the state machine? Like in the image below:

6148i4ABEBBF7AF0385C2.pngIf not, when do I end the state machine?

As for the multiple update items, each one updates a different field in the Nintex form. One updates the Last Task Respondent Display Name, one updates the status to Pending, and one updates the date when the action was executed.

Badge +12

@OSuzanna ......each branch within the state machine should have 1 change state. Either you'll be changing the state and moving to another branch or it's not changing the branch. If the branch is not changing the state to another branch then you should end the state machine in that branch.

The good thing about update item is you can update multiple fields with 1 update item. Just select all the fields you're trying to update from drop down and udpate them as per your logic.

Badge +3

@kunalpatel

Thanks for the tip about the item updates. That will be useful for sure.

As for the state machines, each of my branches either has a Change State action (shown with arrows below) or an End Workflow action (shown in the boxes below). Where would I insert the End State Machine action?

6153i84412E8C01F94D9F.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Just replace your End Workflow actions with End state machine actions.
The state machine will end and run to the end of the workflow and then end.
As I stated earlier, in my experience, ending a workflow before ending the state machine can cause all sorts of weird behavior.
I know your workflow stops in the state machine but maybe if the state machine was configured correcly to start with the issue will not happen.
Badge +3

Ok, I changed all of my End Workflows to End State Machine actions (shown in the boxes below), but my workflow is still getting stuck in the Flexi Task. Other ideas?

6174iA86CE55B05CAC71F.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Based on the screen shot it appears that the workflow is waiting for the task to be approved on the Final resubmission branch. If this task is approved does the workflow continue?
Badge +3

If I go into the workflow and manually make an approval decision, the workflow continues as expected. But the approver never receives the notification that she needs to make an approval decision. Something is happening in that flexi task step that keeps the notification from being sent to the approver. I've included screenshots of the Flexi Task action and reminder settings.

6198i2FE65654282B21A8.png6197i21DAC1F0E8DFD050.png

These are the same settings I have in the first branch's flexi task, which works just fine and sends the notification to the approver as expected. Are there any settings here that stick out as incorrect? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Ok, So the workflow is not actually getting stuck its that the user does not receive the email.
This is a totally different issue.

Have the user(s) check their junk folders etc.
Badge +12

@OSuzanna .....Also, the user in the screenshot, is that the regular a/c with email address or is it a special a/c with no access to outlook? Did you check if the task getting created for this user in a task list?

Badge +3

kunalpatel That user is me. I'm testing the workflow using myself as the initiator and the approver. I receive the other notifications/flexi task emails and have Outlook access. Nothing has gone to my junk or spam folders. It's just the flexi task notification in this one branch that I'm not receiving.

The task is being created, and if I go to the Workflow folder it's there waiting for me to act on. It's just not sending the notification for some reason.

Badge +12

@OSuzanna ...can you delete that and re-create using new flexi task action?

Badge +3

kunalpatel, I did that and it's still getting hung up in the newly-built flexi task. It has to be a setting in the flexi task, right? I just have no idea which one.

6211iBE66F79B888A81AD.png

6212i027293B0A45F1E41.png

Badge +3

Any thoughts? Anyone?