Get data from on-premise SQL DB to SharePoint Online list.

• 7 August 2015
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I have been trying to get data from SQL DB (on-premise) tables and display them as lists in our Office 365 SP Online.

As a start, I have created a Service Instance and registered it, created a smart object and generated Forms, Views  using the "Smart Object - Services Tester"

For next steps :

I want to do the following

- Publish the data into a list.

- Make sure the data changes in the SQL DB reflects in the SP list.

I am unable to figure out anything from the K2 Library or maybe I am missing something. Any pointers will surely help.

Keep in mind, the database is on-premise and we have an Office 365 SPO environment.

I refered to the examples from the library, they point only to Azure SQL DB & Web Services.

Cheers.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi ENT_YO

Do you want to display the data in SharePoint, or actually transfer the data to a SharePoint list? If you just want to display the data, then you only need expose the form that you have created in Sharepoint. If you have K2 for SharePoint then this is very straightforward. This would be the easiest solution as any data changes in SQL would be instantly reflected.

If you want to transfer the data to a list, then this is a lot more complex, and I would question why you would want to take the approach of duplicating your data and then trying to keep it synchronised.

Badge +1

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the note.

I just want to display SQL data in my Office 365 SP list, and any data changes in SQL should be instantly reflected in the list. I will created some process on the list, basically do not want my users to access the DB.

I have trying to do it for a couple of days now. Any pointers will definetely help me.

Please share if you have already done this before.

Cheers,

Yogesh.