Foreign key generation from Smart Objects

• 27 August 2008
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Hi

In my project i want to generate foreign key in the smart box from smart objects. To do this i created association between two smart objects (relation one to many) and manually associated  the properties. It seems to be correct, the association is visible from the two smart objects. But when i open my sql server 2005 database i don't see any relationship.

Info : I don't check the "key" checkbox in my child smart object for the foreign key property.

Other question: Is it possible to specify that a smart object property is mandatory (not null) ? 

Thank for your replies 

2 replies

Badge +9
This relationship is not maintained within the SQL database level, but instead within the K2 SmartObject execution level.  The reason for this is that it is to enable associations across backend data sources.  For example, you may have a SmartObject that is based upon SmartBox (the default option) but you need to associate it with other SmartObjects based upon SharePoint, AD, and SAP backends.  If associations were only enforced in SQL then it would limit the robustness of these type scenarios.
Badge +3

Ok thank you Bob. Very useful answer.

Bye