Restricting People Control Choice to a Group with a Condition

Badge +4

Nintex Forms 2013
Windows 7 - IE 11

Problem 1

I have:

• Field A - Choice control with 5 choices, Choice1, Choice 2 . . .
  • Field B - People control, with Appearance setting of "Expression" - set to Is_New_Mode
  • Group - Group XYZ

I need to add:

1. Restrict Field B - People choices to a Group, similar to using "IsMemberofGroup", but the Group is chosen based upon the value chosen during runtime from the Field A - Choice control
  2. Example: 
    1. Field A - selects "Choice 2"
    2. Field B - People choices can only be from "Group XYZ"
    3. If Field A selection is <> to "Choice 2", then there is no Group restriction
  3. The validation could occur at the time the item is Submitted/Saved, with an appropriate validation error message, but obviously would be nice to have the validation occur during field entry.

Also, conversely:

Problem 2

I have:

• Field A - Choice control with 5 choices, Choice1, Choice 2 . . .
  • Field C - Calculated Value that contains expression "userProfileLookup(Current User,'PreferredName')
  • Group - Group XYZ

I need to add:

1. Restrict Field A - make the selection of "Choice2"  allowed only if the Current User is a member of "Group XYZ"
  2. The Current User is able to select any other Choice <> to "Choice2" whether they are a member of "Group XYZ" or not. 
  3. Example: 
    1. Current User has opened a New Item Form, and their "Preferred Name" is captured in Field C
    2. Field A - user wants to select "Choice2", but is evaluated and validated as to whether they are a member of "Group XYZ"
    3. Field A - user selects any value other than "Choice2" without restriction
  4. The validation could occur at the time the item is Submitted/Saved, with an appropriate validation error message, but obviously would be nice to have the validation occur during field entry.

Runtime Rules do not have an "IsMemberofGroup" option; and I wasn't clear if I could accomplish this from a conditional statement under the control settings for Appearance.

Not quite like a Cascading choice control, as the People control does not have defined choices (other than the group of course)

Adding an afterthought - Is there a solution/best practice for creating Runtime Validation for People/Groups, not necessarily with a condition, or is that simply the use of the Appearance setting for "IsMemberofGroup" ?

Thanks

Mark

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

people control doesn't support on the fly change of backing user group.

you can only make validation that selected user belongs to a specific group.

despite IsMemberOfGroup is not listed among runtime functions, the functioin exists and works, see

https://community.nintex.com/message/53314-re-disable-fields-based-on-member-group-and-form-status?commentID=53314#comme… 

Badge +4

Thank you Marian