How do I make a WF send quarterly check-in emails?

Badge +1

I am trying to figure out a way to build a workflow that will send a quarterly flexi-task email that asks users to either Continue or Stop a litigation hold.  I have the list built in Sharepoint, and it contains the name of the Attorney of the case, the name of the case for which the litigation hold has been put in place, and a status column which notes whether the Litigation Hold should be continued or stopped.

The way I have the workflow built so far is with a "Run If" that only runs if the status of the litigation hold is either "Pending Attorney Confirmation" or "Continue Litigation Hold."  If the status is "Stop Litigation Hold," the WF will not run.  When it runs, it sends a flexi-task to the user asking them to continue or stop the litigation hold, and then it updates the "Hold status" column to either "Continue Litigation Hold" or "Stop Litigation Hold" depending on the user's response.

What I want is for it to re-send that check-in email/flexi-task after three months so long as the status of the litigation hold isn't "Stop Litigation Hold" and that will continue every three months until the status changes.

I have thought about just making this a scheduled workflow that runs every three months, but the problem with that is that I will have to build a schedule for each individual item in the list, and that's just not practical for me.

2 replies

Badge +16

If you have it as a scheduled site workflow you could find all applicable items and then for each item returned, send the email/task.  Would that work?

‌ is an example of a site workflow.  You would create your workflow and schedule it to run every three months?

Badge +1

Thanks for the help, Cassy, but I tried something else and it worked.  Rather than make this a site workflow, I built in a Date Calculation action that calculates the date to three months from the date the first flexi-task was sent, and then it restarts the workflow.  I tested it out using 15 minutes as the calculated interval, and it worked!

And below is how I configured the Date Calculation:

And finally, I used the "Start Workflow" action to kick off on the date calculated above:

If the user chooses the "Stop Hold" option it stops the workflow there, and it doesn't try to repeat.

Thanks to you Cassy Freeman‌ for your help.  While it wasn't the solution that worked for me, it helped spark some thoughts on how I could accomplish this task.