K2.NET service manager hangs and can't export

• 14 February 2006
  • 10 replies

Badge +2
I've just installed K2.Net 2003 sp2a. The service is up and running, but when I go to add the server to service manager, service manager hangs (with no error). Also when I try to export a solution to my server, k2.net studio hangs after the "Exporting to Server..." message. I have reviewed KB article KB000098 and changed the registry setting. I have also selected NLTM, but when I go back into properties, I get hanging again.

Thanks for any help

Troy

10 replies

Badge +11
Hi,

Let's first make sure that your K2.net Server is actually up and running. Stop the K2.net Server Service and start K2.net Server in console mode. Please post a screenshot of the console window.

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +2
Hi Ockert,

Thanks for your help here. Here is the console screen shot:
Seems to look OK?

Troy
Badge +2
Further information.. Here is a screenshot of the service manager, you can see that my server is registered and it seems "started" due to the green arrow, but if I right click and select Connect or Properties or Start, Service manager hangs:
Badge +11
Weird!!

Did you specify a port other than 5252?
Try to add a new Server -
One with 'localhost' and one with 'IP Address'.

I assume you've tried to connect through Service Manager while running in console mode - did you see anything in the console window?

Anything in the Event Logs?

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +2
Well, that was a good assumption, as I thought I had tried connecting through console mode as well. I guess I didn't because I just tried and it works perfectly! Thanks for the guidance.

Now the big question, why can't I connect through the base service and will I have to run this in console mode? Not a big deal now, as we are demoing the product, but I certianly don't want this to be the long term solution :?
Badge +11
Probably the user context under which the Service is started. You've probably started the Service under the 'Local System Account' and this account has not got the necessary permissions to query AD. Change the Service to start under a domain account and all should be well.

Hope this helps,
Ockert
Badge +2
Hi Ockert,

Good suggestion, but the service is being started using a domain account that we set up beforehand called K2Service.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Troy
Badge +6
Hi Dave,

Can you elaborate on what rights this user has on the machine?
Also, when you ran the K2.net Server in console did you run it under the same K2Server user?

The account requires:
1. DBO on both K2.net databases.
2. Local administrator rights (if possible) This is to ensure that the service has access to all the required resources.
2. 'Logg on as a Service' local policy right.

I cannot see why the K2.net Server will not run if it has these rights - This is a peculiar one...
Badge +2
HI all,

Thanks for your assistance. Looks like the domain account was lacking access somewhere (the only place I can think of is AD). I set the login identity for the service as the account I was using to log into the server (seeing that the server ran in console mode under this context). Now the service is running fine.

Now I have an issue with the Workspace trying to authenticate when I try to access it. I understand this might be a Kerberos issue, so I'm looking into it.

Onwards and Upwards. Thanks again for the help.

Troy
Badge +11
Hi Troy,

If K2.net Server and IIS are on physically two different machines, you'll need to enable Kerberos authentication. If not, it could be a Windows 2003 Sever with SP1 problem. In this case, please have a look at KB article #98.

Regards,
Ockert