After migration to DEV, workflow Import (from ribbon) across environments results in empty workflow

• 20 January 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

The Production environment was backed up and those backups were used to create a new instance of the Development environment.

Everything else related to SharePoint and Nintex appears fine, user defined actions were exported and imported, etc.  However, when I attempt to export a workflow from Production and then import it into a workflow in Development all the workflow actions disappear.  It appears to leave a blank workflow in its place.

This happens with importing to new, or existing workflows.  However, exporting a workflow from the Dev environment and importing it into a new or existing workflow in Dev works.

No errors appear or anything, just the empty workflow.

Both environments are running;

Nintex Workflow 2010 (2.4.1.0) - English

Any idea what may be the cause of this?

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Have you tried to import to exported workflow on another list on production?

Badge +3

Just got through testing of this.

It appears to work for other workflows.  It may be related to this one specific workflow...

Based on talks with the user who was doing the work, he said he was trying to export and import into dev because the latest version didn't appear to be in Dev after the migration/refresh.  Would a workflow version be reverted to a previous published version if it was corrupted or had issues?

The workflow does use User Defined Actions too.  However, my test of exporting from Prod with one UDA and importing to DEV worked.  So I'm trying to test more extensively to see if it may be a particular UDA....

Badge +7

Hello Matt,

In case the latest version workflow got corrupted, you can select the previous version through Open command on workflow page.

There you can select the workflow and appropriate version. Publish the selected version/ export it and try to use it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Yes, surely, it has to be with the UDA

Badge +3

I appreciate the answer, but I have already tried this and the result is the same.  Version does not appear to matter.

Badge +3

I've gone and exported a new workflow with all custom UDAs and it imports fine.  However, it may still be UDA related.  I started removing states from the workflow and exporting it and once I got down to 2 states with no UDAs it finally caused a correlation error to occur.  Appears that it may be related to a missing list or library.... going to look into that now.