Approval Workflow for Multiple Items, is a Loop Action the answer?

• 13 April 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +10

Morning all

I have a InfoPath form with Repeating Tables so that a user can request IT applications. So the user may request:

1) Word

2) Excel

3) Powerpoint

I've set up a SharePoint list which the InfoPath form populates an 'Applications' column. I've created a Workflow in the list.

I've set up a condition so that if it's Word it'll go to a Word approval task, if it's Excel then it goes to an Excel approval task. Each of the approval tasks go to a different Approver.

I thought the approach I would take is to loop back around so that the Workflow would pick any additional requests. I'm fairly new to Nintex so I don't know if a) this is the right approach and b) how I would loop back to the start of the Workflow to get the additional requests. Any help gratefully received!

Workflow loop

8 replies

Badge +8

Hi ‌,

This is not what you want. When there is a task, the workflow stops (until the task is completed) making it a serial process.

Didn't we discuss this already silly.png

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +10

Hello again!

Yes this is the same list, just trying to get my head round the solution.

Repeating Table

As I mentioned I've got the multiple choices populating in the SharePoint list. I'm just trying to understand the next stage to automatically set of approval task for each of the applications to different managers. From reading your previous post this can't be done in one Workflow?  

Badge +8

It can be done in one workflow, but only for a very few applications will this be realistic:

• Parallel: using the 'Parallel' action having a branch for each application. Put the logic in each branch. The workflow only continues after the parallel action when all tasks are executed.
  • Serial: Use a loop to loop through the records (applications).
Badge +10

Superb, thanks ‌ that does work, but I do need to click on the items and then Workflows to start the Workflow. Is there anyway I can get the parallel workflow you start automatically on all the items when the forms is saved?

Badge +10

Don't worry Rick Bakker‌, got it!

https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-1020

Badge +8

Aaa, there is still hope for you, young grasshopper.

May the search be with you silly.png

Badge +8

The 'Run if' action is better than the 'Set a condition' action when one 'road' (The 'No') is empty. Better in the sense that it makes your workflow visible smaller.

Badge +10

Cheers, will tweak.