How is this variable being set?

• 16 October 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +10

I've inherited a list and workflows and I'm trying to back track to see how they work. The workflow in question - Domain Certification Task -  assigns tasks for the certification of a domain and is called from another workflow called Get Domain Certification.

In the Domain Certification Task workflow a number of variables have been set up. The two variables are wDomain_Owner_Name (Single line of text) and iDomain_Owner (person or group). On the Domain Certification Task there is a Set Variable action.

I don't know how the wDomain_Onwer_Name is being set. Surely both the variables are blank so how does the iDomain_Owner - Display Name set it with anything? Is it the 'Display Name' part? Any help appreciated. Screen grab below:

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

if you try to delete that variable, it should prevent you to do so and show a list of action titles where that variable is used, this may help you find where it's set.. if it allows you to delete the variable, than it's no used in the workflow.

Note: this behaviour has been test on Nintex for SharePoint on-prem (like it's in your screenshot) and not in Nintex for O365 or Nintex Workflow Cloud (as this particular space in the forum)

Badge +10

Thanks. I actually expanded some Action sets and found that the variable which had me scratching my head was querying a list, which helped me unravel it.