Functionality Question

• 15 April 2009
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge +1

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

I recently downloaded the evalutation version of BlackPoint to test it and see if it will specifically meet our business needs.  I have worked with MOSS for a while now and up until recently I did all my workflows in SharePoint Designer.

So far i very much like what i have seen, but i have a couple questions that I need answers on.

The documentation seems to be a bit light on how to collect data from users.  In Designer we can use the wizard to auto create an aspx form and gather information used later in the workflow.  I cannot seem to figure out how to do this in BlackPoint (do we HAVE to use infopath?)

My second question is related to attaching a document to an email.  I have a document library with a manually started work flow.  This k2 work flow will load the document into an email and send it off.  Now i can get the document to attach to the email just fine, my dilemma is that i have to hard code the file name of the document into the wizard.  Is there a way to get the file name from the xml data in the work flow?  I can get the ID, date modified and other content type properties from the schema, but i cannot find how to define which file to attach.  

Again, thanks for any assistance you can provide!

1 reply

Badge +8

You do not have to use InfoPath.  K2 processes can bind directly to a list/library/content type and then use the metadata from the list or document item that kicks the process off.  This is surfaced in the Data section of the Object Browser under the XML section.  The auto created field is typically SharePoint_Item. 

You can also edit the "pre generated" pages in visual studio if you select the advanced form option in the process wizard.  This will allow you to design an asp.net form to capture data and persist it into K2 process data fields if required.

For the second question there is an XML meta data field that holds the document information which you can use to dynamically attach the appropriate document.  Use the Content Field option and select the WFIProcessField XML field and that should work.

I hope that helps.

-Eric