SharePoint Discussion Board Category based workflow

Badge +1

Hi,

I am creating a Nintex workflow for the discussion boards in SharePoint 2013 on-premise. The criteria is as below.

1. Discussions board has a custom column called Category added to all content types.
  2. Based on the category, the worflow should send notifications to specific sharepoint groups.
  3. All the discussions and Replies notification should be sent according to the category.

I understand that the discussions list has two content types "Discussion" and "Message". 

I am able to send notification based on the category for the new topic in the discussion. However, I am facing issues with the replies. I am unable to query the Category from the "Discussion" content type using the "ParentItemId" of the reply, as the workflow would be running on the "Message" Content type for the replies. 

Is there anyway the category column value can be updated by default in the Message content type so that it is easy to query based on the reply Id? Or is there a way we can get category from Discussion content type based on the reply? Hope I did't confuse.

Any solution or tips would be much appreciated. Kindly let me know if need any clarifications.

As it is urgent requirement need help ASAP. Thanks in advance.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you can get discussion (parent) content type's value from message simply with set variable action using it's 'lookup' capability.

it might look like follows

205899_pastedImage_2.png

I believe you could get it with Query list action in a similar way.

Badge +1

Thank You Marian. I have tried your suggestion and it helped. However, I have used the ParentFolderId instead of ParentItemID as the ParentFolderId corresponds to dicussion and ParentItemID corresponds to parent of the reply. (Incase reply within a reply.)

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

great!

if you are satisfied with the answer please mark it correct.

Badge +2

I did not see any parentfolderID column to be added to the management view.  How does one see that field?  I took a different route for this issue.  

The linkage we created copies the title of the top level item into another field we created called “Discussion Title” for immediate replies to the main topic.  This workflow runs on a conditional create event when content type equals Message.  “Discussion Title” field for the main topic is blank (since my workflow only runs if content type = message i.e. a reply).  If “Discussion Title” is already populated which would be the case on any reply to a reply, the workflow just copies that field from its parent. This only works in the flat/subject view though as modifying the reply title is not an option.  Then the workflow does a match on "Discussion Title" to find the related thread items.  

Badge +1

Very nice post here thanks for it .I always like and such a super contents of these post.Excellent and very cool idea and great content of different kinds of the valuable information's.