Can any one advise on subject question?

thanks,

icon

Best answer by Warwick 26 July 2016, 09:24

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

The first to check is the workflow start options.

Then see how many workflows have you designed for your list.

Finally, if you could, create a new list and a new workflow.

Badge +6

Thanks for your reply.

We would like specific metadata change ( check box ) in list to trigger workflow.

Eventually updating property to uncheck the box towards the end of the workflow.

With Best Regards,

Nehal shah

Badge +9

In Office 365 there isn't "Conditional Starting" - so you always start he workflow new or modified and handle it within the workflow, either with IF statements of State Machines (which I prefer ad I don't like terminating workflows)

Is the list being updated from another workflow? this won't trigger a list modification as it's done by the system, you'll need to build into the workflow that updates the list a workflow start action also.

Badge +6

Warwick,

Thanks for your inputs.

· We wish to manually update check box to trigger the workflow. (so this can also be done for multiple items by bulk edit)

· The intention is to uncheck the box using “update list action” toward end of the workflow to avoid endless loop.

Pl. advise.

With Best Regards,

Nehal shah

Badge +9

Yeah cool, just have the workflow to start on modify for workflow settings.

then the first action in the list (after Set Workflow Status of course) is an IF statement (UPDATE LIST ACTION = UNTICKED) and within the IF statement have a Terminate Workflow.

Badge +6

Warwick,

This is excellent idea. I will check this in test environment.

Few doubts however,

· Wont this be overwhelming for workflow engine to handle every modification to at least start and terminate the workflow?

· Will this create a lot of unwanted workflows ( and history ) on every minor update?

· How can we properly end the workflow for by updating list item ( check box ) at the end and not terminate it so we can have a clean cycle.

With Best Regards,

Nehal shah

Petrogas E&P Netherlands B.V.

Appelgaarde 4

2272TK Voorburg (NL)

Email : nehal.shah@petrogasep-nl.com<mailto:nehal.shah@petrogasep-nl.com> | Desk : +31 (0)70 3572254

Badge +9

Wont this be overwhelming for workflow engine to handle every modification to at least start and terminate the workflow?

- Yes it will be, but there isn't a way around it, i've had a list of 500 items and workflows on every item take 12 hours to complete

Will this create a lot of unwanted workflows ( and history ) on every minor update?

- Yes but unless you have another way to do it...

How can we properly end the workflow for by updating list item ( check box ) at the end and not terminate it so we can have a clean cycle.

- State Machine workflow with a "No Action" state and have a status column in the list for status_statemachine which will always be set to No Actions unless you tick the box and the there is a if statement in the workflow which checks the tick box and sets status_statemachine (which is now a variable) to "Take Action"

Badge +6

Thanks so much for your valuable inputs.

I will test this and keep you updated.

With Best Regards,

Nehal shah