Office 365 Set Approval Status Credentials Error

• 16 October 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I am using the Office 365 Set Approval Status action and am getting this error: The user has insufficient permissions to perform the operation on list 'xx List Name' in web site 'https://xx.sharepoint.com'. 

I currently have Full Control permissions. Is it perhaps that I need to be the Site Administrator to have permissions to run a Workflow? If so, is there a way I can work around this? 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi!

To trigger a workflow "Contribute" permissions are sufficient. For the "Approval" you need to have at least "Design" permissions (from the OOB sets) or a custom level that has the "Approve Items" permission selected.

Having "Full Control" is even more than you need. Double check if the list (or the item on the list) doesn't have its permissions inheritance broken, so that you do not have "Full Control" anymore. You could try to put that action inside the "Action Set" with the elevated permissions checkbox selected.

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +2

I'm referring more specifically to the Office 365 Set Approval Status. 

I tried putting my action within an action set and that did not work either. I can trigger the workflow with my permissions, but it errors here: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Regarding the "Acion Set" - you did have check the "Elevate permissions" checkbox:

Are you able to approve the item manually, being in the library (when you select the item, then in the "File" tab in the ribbon, you will notice the "Approve/ Reject" buttons) ?

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +2

Yes, I remembered to check the "elevate permissions" checkbox

I also am able to manually approve documents. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well, according to the documentation, you should provide details of a user who has permissions to approve the item on the list. Yours should be sufficient then. Can you try to provide credentials of a user being a site collection admin or can you elevate your permissions to SC admin?

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi ‌ - has my answers helped you? Have you solved your issue? if yes - can you mark one of the answers as correct, so that other users will know, that they can find a verified solution here? If not - is there anything more I can help you with?

Regards,

Tomasz