Email Notification to Newly Added People

Badge

In SharePoint 2010, I have a people picker field named 'Additional Assignee' that allows multiple entries. I need to be able to generate an email notification each time someone is added, but the notification should only be sent to the new people added and not the people already listed (they would have received an email when the item was created.) Any ideas on how to best accomplish this? Thank you!

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi there!

Off the top of my head, this may be a situation where you have another list, and, when your Additional Assignee gets a notification, it logs their name into this different list.

The workflow then would be "Is Additional Assignee NOT in the list? Then, send a notification and log them to the list. If they ARE in the list, then don't send a notification"

What do you think - would that work?

Cheers,

Rhia

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I see this as a scenario where you need to compare the current values in the "Additional Assignee" to the previous value and then determine the difference.  While you can trigger a workflow to start based on comparing the current and previous value, there is no way to get the data from the previous value of a field in the workflow.  So the way that you could accomplish comparing the current value to the previous is through the use of a second column that would store the previous value.

1. Create a 2nd column on the list and call it Previous Additional Assignee.
  2. When an Item is created, set the value of Previous Additional Assignee to the value of Additional Assignee.
  3. Setup your notification workflow to run when an item is modified, and the previous value of Additional Assignee does not equal the current value.
  4. In the notification workflow you'll need to compare each name in the Additional Assignee field to the values in the Previous Additional Assignee field to determine which ones are new.  You can use a collection operation and loop through each name.  For each one that is new, you can send your notification.
  5. The last step is to then set the Previous Additional Assignee field to the value of the Additional Assignee field. 

I have a detailed example here of how this process of the previous value field would work.   

Badge +1

Hello, you mention you have a detailed explaination of how using the Collection Operation would work.  Could you post that or a link to the detailed setup?

Ed Joshlyn

Badge +3

Hello,

I have been trying to get this to work for some days now but I have not been successful. Remove by value appears not to be removing the names in the Previous Assigned field from the Assigned field. Could it be because I used People or Group type in my list column?

Also, when Remove by Value is used in a collection operation, where is the resulting output stored?